Tools for BB Cups

C.Isherwood
C.Isherwood Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in Workshop
I have a 2010 Athena UT Groupset and im about to swap it to a new frame. For swapping the BB Cups most of the tools i have seen are specified for Shimano Cups. Would a Shimano tool be compatible with Campag cups?

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Don't think so, I believe Campag have their own special tool.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the patten is the same but Campag have put a nice chamfer of the front edge that means some tools do not fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom- ... ool-bbt-19

...looks like it does both campag ut and shimano
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I stand corrected, thanks.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Pretty sure any external BB tool will do. I have a Tacx one that has served me well.
  • nicklouse
    proto wrote:
    Pretty sure any external BB tool will do. I have a Tacx one that has served me well.
    as said not all will work due to the chamfer. I have one that will not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    nicklouse wrote:
    proto wrote:

It would be helpful if you could tell us which one you have so the rest of us can avoid buying one like it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    The park tool works well on both. I have used it for two years now with no problems at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicklouse
    proto wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    proto wrote:

It would be helpful if you could tell us which one you have so the rest of us can avoid buying one like it.
    there are many that dont. they are the cup (think socket)type for use with a ratchet rather than the spanner (ring) type.
    the cup type that are Campy compatible will say so and they will have deep enough reach.