What second hand factory wheels <£300?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions?

Got a snazzy new frame and need to furnish it in nice things, but can't afford new. Don't really know were to start when i'm browsing eBay and other classifieds.

Cheers
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    Used factory wheels are the worst possible investment. You have no warranty on a product which is not designed to last and which is virtually impossible to fix/rebuild...Factory wheels need be new or the type that can be fixed/rebuilt at a reasonable cost.
    I understand your need for big flat radial spokes and advertising space on the rims, which hand builds cannot satisfy, in that case get something cheap from Taiwan, but new!
    Check also Planet X, there is always something nice slashed
    left the forum March 2023
  • timmyflash
    Interesting. Warranty a good point.

So you reckon use the £300 and go for new handbuilt? For a Viner Maxima. I'd like to put decent components on it, but can't afford it and figured 2nd hand would be best value.

Fixeh
  • ugo.santalucia
    Your call, Hand builds are often a bit plain in the look... we can pimp them up with cheery coloured alloy nipples, gold hubs, black flat spokes and the likes, but it's all nonsense that adds a lot to the bill and in the best case scenario doesn't add anything to the ride... in most cases just makes the wheels worse.
    At the end of the day if you don't race, you need to buy what you like, I was just warning you against the risk of used factory wheels...
    If instead you are not for the look, but for the purpose and performance, then maybe you should consider handbuilts... in your price range it's difficult to fit top quality hubs, but certainly very decent components can be sourced

How come you have 3K worth of frame and a small budget for the wheels?
  • timmyflash
    Was offered the frame / forks / deda campione bars for £900 and couldn't turn it down and now need stuff to actually build it up.

Not bothered about the looks, just wanted to do the frame some justice by having fastish wheels on it while i accumulate some cash to spend on upgrades. Next step is to find a bloody groupset - argh.

Fixeh
  • ugo.santalucia
    timmyflash wrote:
    Was offered the frame / forks / deda campione bars for £900 and couldn't turn it down and now need stuff to actually build it up.

Not bothered about the looks, just wanted to do the frame some justice by having fastish wheels on it while i accumulate some cash to spend on upgrades. Next step is to find a bloody groupset - argh.

Veloce is good value for money and it's italian like your steed... you should maybe buy the groupset and then the wheels or you'll end up with free hub compatibility issues