Any Air Gunners in da house?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
has anyone else got any air guns?

i have had my Weihrauch HW35e for about 15 years, before that my brother had it so its a bit of a family heirloom (gun was made in 1984)

i had to fettle with it last night as the safety catch isn't engaging

my boom stick

28062007218.jpg

so what you all got?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have a early 90's BSA meteor - which I used for killing tin cans as a teen in my folks garden.

and my dads air pistol a Diana MOD 2 from early 30's to late 40's it's laughably low powered and covered in scratches and stuff, and yes I love it. did come with darts you could use.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No air guns, but I do own several firearms;

Shotguns
    Beretta DT10 O/U 12G - 30" - sold
    Browning Medallist O/U - 30"

Firearms
    Winchester 73 458 Magnum - Under offer
    Winchester 70 30.06 Springfield - Sold (don't know why I bought this!)
    Parker Hale 308 (762) - Sold
    Winchester repeater underlever 44 magnum - under offer
    Anschutz 1913 .22 Match
    Walther KKM GX-1 .22 Match - Sold

All going as I am not really shooting anymore....I may go back to clay smashing, may keep the Browning, but storage, keeping up insurance/licences and club membership is expensive and a hassle. Also storing ammunition is a pain and not cheap to replace (I don't do my own reloading).

Kids and guns are not really compatible either......

**I have never shot anything that lives.....all used for target.
  • roger_merriman
    gtvlusso wrote:

Shotguns

Firearms
    Anschutz 1913 .22 Match

All going as I am not really shooting anymore....I may go back to clay smashing, may keep the Browning, but storage, keeping up insurance/licences and club membership is expensive and a hassle. Also storing ammunition is a pain and not cheap to replace (I don't do my own reloading).

i live in london so the guns just sit there, you can just about use the pistol as it barely passes though paper now, being at least 60 years old could be close to 80 years old...
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I also have a BSA Meteor, I bought it new, shot at dozens of targets and tin cans for about 2 days and then stuck it in the cupboard where it still sits to this day.

Where would I sell such a thing? Would it be worth anything?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    gtvlusso wrote:

Shotguns

Firearms
    Anschutz 1913 .22 Match

Is this lot just in case...?

Never been into guns.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249

Not sure about where to sell it but it'd be worth a bit.Parents got one recently to deal with the rabbits. Seems WW1 levels of barbed wire and effort doesn't keep them out.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I have a Webley from 1985.
    But now I've moved from the countryside into suburbia, I don't have many places that i can use it.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • mudcow007
    I also have a BSA Meteor, I bought it new, shot at dozens of targets and tin cans for about 2 days and then stuck it in the cupboard where it still sits to this day.

try here

http://www.airgunbbs.com
  • gtvlusso
    rubertoe wrote:

Is this lot just in case...?

Never been into guns.

Well, you never know when a Rhino may charge you - hence the 458 Magnum, it will drop a Rhino apparently.

TBH, I used to enjoy going clay pigeon shooting and got into long distance (1000 yards) rifle target shooting from there. However, rifle shooting can be very dull and the people very dull about it - hence I am giving it up....but going a breaking a few clays is good fun and I would advise anyone to have a go. It does not make you a gun nut and there are very safe shooting grounds countrywide.
  • gtvlusso

Not sure about where to sell it but it'd be worth a bit.Parents got one recently to deal with the rabbits. Seems WW1 levels of barbed wire and effort doesn't keep them out.

Airgun vs Rabbit = dead rabbit to clean up
    458 Magnum vs rabbit = what rabbit, followed by filling in the massive hole left in the ground

**in no way do I condone the shooting of rabbits or anything else that is fluffy or breathing.
  • roger_merriman

My parents have one of these.

6334576886_061f467ba3_z.jpg

A Freddy, anything small and fluffy needs to shift pronto if the door opens as not only is he fast but bright.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Yeah.

Cat got run over by a car on Friday innit?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    In my teens yes but then moved onto the odd weekend of clays. Don't own guns and to be honest it would be too tempting to shoot moving targets (especially children) so probably a good thing.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Lost the handgun (range stored 22) in the aftermath of Dunblane as Douglas Bird's knee jerk reactive legislation came into force. Moved from country to town twoish years ago and shed the Ithaca 12 as not worth the hassle and gave away the two air 22s at about the same time (BSA airsporter carbine length and an ancient German thing).

Next door's kid is national championship ranked in air though and I must admit I do miss plinking at a Target every now and then.

Only projectile weopons left in AH towers are a speargun and a catapault, so my house is safe :D from both shark and tabby attack. :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    gtvlusso wrote:

Shotguns

Firearms
    Anschutz 1913 .22 Match

sounds like GTV's idea of gun control is to use both hands :lol:
    FCN = 4
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    I used to be seriously into field target many years ago, was secretary of a club, until I got fed up of the travelling about. I still have a Ripley AR4 but I doubt if it works now all the o-rings have probably dried up. Still do a bit of clay shooting now and again.
  • mudcow007
    still have a Ripley AR4 but I doubt if it works now all the o-rings have probably dried up. Still do a bit of clay shooting now and again.

Isnt that the gun with the weird stock?

worth a few bob so im told....
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    The only air gunning I've ever done was with 40mm Bofors and 7.62GPMG/LMG throwing lead at Argie Skyhawks and Mirages :)
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Isnt that the gun with the weird stock?

worth a few bob so im told....
    Dunno, it cost me over a grand new and I think I had a choice of stocks when I bought it, this one has an adjustable cheekpiece and butt-plate, but not one of those big metal hook things and the fore-end isn't adjustable either. It's probably only worth half that now in working condition. If the internals are shot (It hasn't been out of it's case for 10+ years) it's probably worth a penny less than jack.

Even the scope had a fault, it's a Jenkinson Premier reticule equipped Leupold but one of the wires broke free and wavy-wavies it's way across the view.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Ahhhhhh that kind of 'air gun'.

I read the thread title, imagined something similar to air guitar and did my best pistol fingers and started shouting peeoww peeeoww around the office.