Cracked carbon fiber frame - repairable?

DanTheSaxMan
DanTheSaxMan Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hey guys,
Yesterday I was loading up my Avanti Cadent 3.0 2010 roadie on a steep hill and all of a sudden I heard a *crack*. I stopped and noticed that the front inner chain ring had snapped in half! As a matter of fact, what had happened is that a few of the bolts holding the inner chain ring on had obviously worked themselves loose over time (something I hadn't even thought to check regularly) and so eventually the chain ring had too much pressure (on the hill) and simply buckled and cracked. That would be fine if that was the only problem, but it turned out that a small 2 inch piece of the chain ring broke off and lodged straight into the carbon frame, creating a thin hole about half an inch wide right at the base of the frame. I have done a photoshop mockup of the location and approximate size of the crack on one of the avanti black frames as I don't have any photos of it. The white crack indicates the approximate size of the crack which has gone right through into the middle of the frame. See the link: http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/3DanTheSaxMan3/Bikecrack.jpg

As you can see it is right at the base of the frame.
Now this kind of problem isn't naturally covered on the warranty so I have been given the option to pay for the replacement Cadent frame which will cost be around $1300. Seems like such a loss of money since I'll be getting back the same bike as before in essence. Anyway, my issue is what to do with the old frame? Is there a way I can repair it myself? Or would it be better to sell it on to someone who might be happy to fix it and use it? Should I repair it myself and hold off on getting the $1300 replacement frame?

Cheers
Dan

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Not sure if this can be safe to use, but if it isn't, I'd make sure no-one could repair it and sell it off.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I have a friend who just had a frame repaired by http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/. Great job for not too much £££.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Almost anything can be repaired as good as or better than new on a CF frame. Cost is another issue but check around some of the reputable repair shops, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    H Q Fibre Products in Norfolk - I know people who have used them for frames and wheels and they are excellent.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    As I see you quoting costs in $ are you in the UK or in the USA ?
    In the USA Parlee I think do CF repairs, in the UK the 2 companies mentioned above have good reps for excellent repairs.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'm guessing the OP is in New Zealand or Australia. Avanti is an Antipodean brand.