If Carlsberg made cycling weekends

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Saturday 26th May - Skye Sportive, stunning views and great event. Was too hot for some and riders were wilting in the heat due to lack of fluids and a few heat stroke casualties. I had light weight gear on that I only reserve for cyling in Provence - it was that hot. Sportive was hard due to the very hot conditions but I was not there for a time and generally took it fairly easy and even nailed a famous climb on the island that the sportive goes by but does not go over. I had never been to Skye but the island is amazing and the views across the Atlantic were spectacular as the water was so calm. Quiet roads and out of this world sea and mountain views.

Sunday 27th - After Saturdays sportive I thought I since I am all the way up here and the weather was outstanding I headed to Lochcarron village and spent the night in a great B&B and watched the sun go down on the Loch. Did not really get dark at all but the sun was blazing again the next day. Jumped on the bike and headed over the Bealach na Ba climb and around the Applecross pennisula road. Been up the Bealach climb many times but never have I had weather like this as the last time in June it was cold, wet, windy and misty. This time however the road tar was melting on the climb and the heat was amazing. One guy shouted out of his camper van to me the temp was 28°C and I must be mad to climb the hill in those condtions. Perfect day with no traffic to speak of and you could not tell where the sea ended and the sky began on the coast road.

Still all good things come to an end but never have I spent 3 days up North without seeing any clouds. Best weekend ever on the bike? Dont know as I have some pretty good time's abroad but the best in Blighty thats for sure.
Brian B.

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    No where to beat it when it's like that. I've done the Bealach Beag a couple of times but it's never been as hot as that. The Skye Sportive must've been pretty brutal too, lots and lots of short sharp hills.

Fantastic scenery in that part of the world and the roads are not hugely busy. The only slight problem is that because there is usually only one road to anywhere any traffic does move pretty quickly and isn't always cycle friendly. But I'm nit-picking. I'm very jealous and now I'm thinking when I can plan in a long weekend in an already busy summer.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Brian B wrote:
    Saturday 26th May - Skye Sportive, stunning views and great event. Was too hot for some and riders were wilting in the heat due to lack of fluids and a few heat stroke casualties. I had light weight gear on that I only reserve for cyling in Provence - it was that hot. Sportive was hard due to the very hot conditions but I was not there for a time and generally took it fairly easy and even nailed a famous climb on the island that the sportive goes by but does not go over. I had never been to Skye but the island is amazing and the views across the Atlantic were spectacular as the water was so calm. Quiet roads and out of this world sea and mountain views.

Sunday 27th - After Saturdays sportive I thought I since I am all the way up here and the weather was outstanding I headed to Lochcarron village and spent the night in a great B&B and watched the sun go down on the Loch. Did not really get dark at all but the sun was blazing again the next day. Jumped on the bike and headed over the Bealach na Ba climb and around the Applecross pennisula road. Been up the Bealach climb many times but never have I had weather like this as the last time in June it was cold, wet, windy and misty. This time however the road tar was melting on the climb and the heat was amazing. One guy shouted out of his camper van to me the temp was 28°C and I must be mad to climb the hill in those condtions. Perfect day with no traffic to speak of and you could not tell where the sea ended and the sky began on the coast road.

Still all good things come to an end but never have I spent 3 days up North without seeing any clouds. Best weekend ever on the bike? Dont know as I have some pretty good time's abroad but the best in Blighty thats for sure.

Excellent report Brian. This is what cycling is all about! 8)
  • cush123
    cush123 Posts: 75
    Three of us are heading up for the Cairgorm Classic on Saturday and then staying near Inverness and doing the Bealach Mor route on Sunday. Weather looking ok so far and not as hot as last weekend. Phew!

Bring it on.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Both great routes and you'll see some pretty impressive scenery both on the bike and in the car for your two days. Enjoy :P
    Brian B.