What’s this all about then

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
During a sportive at the weekend we’d got a fairly good train going, and I thought I was doing more than my fair share at the front. At one point, whilst I was a few from the front of the line, a guy puts his hand on my lower back and gives me a gentle push forwards. Was this a signal that he thought I needed a bit of extra help? Maybe he wanted me to put more effort in? It happened a couple of times in events last year too, so is this a recognised signal for something? Could I be doing something wrong and not noticing/knowing?

Comments

• yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    That's bizzare. Not really on, unless you're obviously suffering. It's up to you whether you want to take a turn on the front, it's not obligatory. I think I'd tell them to sod off if I was clear it wasn't for assistance. They could just ask!
    Not happened to me, would be interesting if anyone else has had the same experience.
    Yak
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Probably wanted you to close any gap to the wheel in front.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Probably just another wannabe watching to much Eurosport coverage. :shock:
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Never happened to me over the years but it was me I would have given him a swift p***off. Some get caught up and think they are actually racing and can act like fools if you dont come forward at a flick of an elbow. It things like this that makes me avoid trains on sportives as people are so inexperienced and its asking for trouble to ride with them.

I dont mind if people draught me but never ask for people to come forward as I tend to ride sportives solo anyway as thats how I train so it makes no difference.
    Brian B.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Were you leaving a bit too much of a gap to the wheel in front ?
    He must have been out of the pace line anyway to be there to push you - maybe he was making space to drop in on your wheel.

I'd not worry about it.
  • You were probably in the way and he gave you a push to help you follow the wheel in front or to close a gap that was opening. It is a common occurrence in cycling, some times you ae moving along with a good deal of momentum and the rider ahead looks like they need a nudge or they are opening a gap that will mess up the line so a helpful hand is given.

Despite there being no hard and fast 'rules' about this type of thing, everyone riding together makes the ride easier and more enjoyable. If someone is sat mid-line opening up gaps, not contributing and generally getting in the way, they will sometimes get a hand to follow the wheel through.

If you want to sit on, sit last man and make sure people know what you are doing. Sitting on is no big deal but people will get pissed off if you disrupt their ride.

Lastly, to all those whose immediate response was they they would tell the pusher to piss off - is there really any need for that? I'd launch you off your bike if you said that after a friendly push!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Rod.
    An unannounced push in the back of a rider not accustomed to it could cause them to over react and wobble. It's a manoeuvre that only has a place amongst known experienced riders.
    If a rider in front is failing to hold a gap the obvious thing to do when the time is right is to overtake them. It was only a sportive not a race although at times it's hard to tell the difference.
    Experienced riders on sportives should not be making the mistake of thinking that others in a group are as streetwise as them, just treat them with respect and ride your own ride not there's. 8)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think I would have asked the bloke what he was trying to achieve at the time. As others have said, he could have been indicating that you need to close up but then he may have been reminding you he was there and that you were drifting around a bit as you got a bit fatigued. Impossible for anyone to tell for sure now though.