Tyre recommendation for Peak District

muzzle1
muzzle1 Posts: 21
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

My Schwalbe Smart Sams are on their way out after a year of Peak District battering. The rear now has a bulging sidewall where a few too many rock strikes have almost worn a hole all the way through.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a good (and not too expensive) tyre as a replacement? I don't change them according to the conditions, as I'm just not that conscientious so they'd need to be suitable all year round in the Peak District. I think that a bit of extra resilience on the sidewalls would also be a bonus, as this is where my Smart Sams have suffered the most.

FWIW, I'd be happy with another set of Smart Sams if people think they're the best value, just wondered what other opinions are...?

Tubed, not tubeless by the way...

Thanks.

Comments

• jedocherty
    jedocherty Posts: 6
    I've not seen the Smart Sam's but if he's anything like Racing Ralph he's pretty thin walled. If the tread works then don't change it, but you could go for the double defence version.. i think they''re about £40 though. I use Panaracer Fire XC Pro for most of the year and swap to Racing Ralph's for summer. I'm up in Edinburgh as a point of reference.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-fire- ... bike-tyre/
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Schwalbe do the 'snakeskin' line which is sidewall protection. Very good for the slag heaps of PD (I use Alberts and Fat Alberts). Check On-One and see what's left there. You will have greater rolling resistance with something like an Albert compared to what you have currently though so there will be a trade off with any of the chunkier tyres. Look on CRC too, and look for sidewall protection and similar tread pattern tyres, they have the odd bargain on there if you shop around. Sale on the Conti Vertical protections but they are not particularly fast rolling and are more for grip.
  • matt@theforce
    matt@theforce Posts: 647
    I use Nobby Nic Evo's all year round in the Peaks and mine have done well, they've lasted 2 years of riding but do have a small hole in the sidewall on the rear tyre which I should replace