EX-Type BBs

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Evening all

Is the EX-Type Bottom Bracket just the standard external BB as made by the likes of Hopetech etc?

I'm looking at a compact chainset which comes with an EX-type BB, but have a Hope Ceramic BB already fitted.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Who makes the cranks?

Is your hope shimano or SRAM fitting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wirral_paul
    Token cranks and comes with a Token Tiramic BB which i've just found on Wiggle as being Shimano EX compatible (Hollowtech II)

I currently have a SRAM Force Crankset with a Hope Road Ceramic BB, which means i needed the additional Truvativ adaptor rings to reduce the non-drive side. I would just need to tap these out to use the Hope BB?
  • nicklouse
    Yes remove the reducers to use with the token cranks if they are the shimano fit.

Getting the reducers out can be fun....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Wirral_paul
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yes remove the reducers to use with the token cranks if they are the shimano fit.

Getting the reducers out can be fun....

Thats great - thanks Nick

I had the sense to file a very small notch in one of the reducers with a micro-file so that i can tap the other reducer out with a blunted off screwdriver. Makes the job very easy - helpful for cleaning and regreasing the bearings as the dust cover needs removing first
  • nicklouse
    Very well done. Most people would not have the forethought to have done that.
  • Wirral_paul
    nicklouse wrote:
    Very well done. Most people would not have the forethought to have done that.

Its a shame Hope cant machine a couple of small notches themselves. I guess the tooling wouldnt be cost effective though