Three Peaks

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
I've seen the pics and videos etc and it looks mighty hard work but I'm planning on at least putting an entry in when they open as a first step.

Anyone done it?
Just how tough is it?
Can it be done unsupported with just one pair of wheels (there seem to be a lot of people there just supporting riders).
Am I guaranteed to crash/puncture/fall apart?

I've done three full seasons of cross racing (mid field once I'm fit) and getting plenty more training in this year than before. I'm guessing though that it's far tougher than just a super long cross race.
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not ridden it myself, but know plenty who have. Suggest you go onto the forum pages of the 3 Peaks Website for more info. It's nothing like a regular CX race - more like a fell-running race with a bike on your back in places - expect long portages as many of the ascents and descents are unrideable so suggest you mix some running in with your riding. Riding unsupported means bomb-proof wheels and tyres - Schwalbe Landcruisers are popular. I keep persevering with entries too - bit of a lottery.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Mike67 wrote:
    I've seen the pics and videos etc and it looks mighty hard work but I'm planning on at least putting an entry in when they open as a first step.

Anyone done it?
    Just how tough is it?
    Can it be done unsupported with just one pair of wheels (there seem to be a lot of people there just supporting riders).
    Am I guaranteed to crash/puncture/fall apart?

I've done three full seasons of cross racing (mid field once I'm fit) and getting plenty more training in this year than before. I'm guessing though that it's far tougher than just a super long cross race.

Ridden it several times, but a good few years ago now, early 90's. Had to be ridden on a cross bike all the way, no switching to road bikes, dont know about now.

A very hard day out on the bike (and feet), especially if its wet. Dont know what youre like at descending, but loads of places and time to be gained or lost coming off Ingleborough and Penyghent. Try and get in a group on the road sections. Simon Fell at the start of Ingleborough is mentally steep, dragging yourself up using the fence :)

Hard to say whether one pair of wheels will do. I've never smashed a wheel there, but had a few punctures. Then again, the chances of puncturing near yer spare bike are pretty slim, so you will probably be fixing your own flats.

Definitely worth a ride though.
  • Mike67
    Thanks for the encouraging responses..I'll at least attempt to get an entry in...then I've got to do it haven't I? :?

I'm not too bad at descending as my early (adult) cycle years were spent mostly on a rigid MTB (remember those :D ) going up and down some pretty rocky stuff. Might need to get some practice in though as I'm not as springy as I used to be.

Running might be my weak point. Despite doing a fair bit in the past I seem to have 'adapted' to a more cycling physique these days. I'll see if I get a place first, then work on it.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    I'm keen to give this a go too. God only knows why - I've got next to no experience of riding off road and DNFed my first and only ever cross race after breaking my chain. I can though run quite well up hill.... but not when carrying a bike....

I gather entries open on 1st June. Is it first come first served or what? I guess my lack of form would make me unlikely to qualify if it's massively oversubscribed. Are women allocated a certain number of places?
  • Mike67
    Well I've put my 'application' in....so here's hoping with a slight sense 'what have I done' :shock:
    If you've not competed in a Three Peaks before then you have to submit a kind cycling CV detailing just how much of a cycling nutter you are :D
    They do ask for CX/offroad/MTB experience as sportives etc don't count (their words).

All entries then go into a waiting list pending vetting in the case of oversubscription after the closing date.
    Not sure if women (or other categories) are given preference.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • hairyleg
    hairyleg Posts: 134
    First thing you need to do is go and enter fell race,when you finish put your bike on your back and do it again :lol: it will give you some idea how hard this race is :D
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ok so I just put in an entry for this stupid race!

Not sure if I want to be accepted or not lol
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm interested in doing this as well.

Part of their criteria for assessing entries is:
    a carefully chosen entry list made up of a balanced and representative selection based on factors such as age category, gender, experience, ability etc. will be produced.

Does that mean that they want a wide spread of ability, or will they simply pick those with the best cycling CVs?

In terms of required ability - I was doing quite well as a third cat last year, did the first CX race of my local season and came around 23rd out of about 80 from memory, then I got glandular fever (and my first child was born) and haven't raced since. I'm now looking for a slightly 'hair-brained' event to enter to give me the inspiration to get back into training.

I did one MTB race last year and I think was the last finisher (I thought it was 3 laps, but it was 7, ran out of drink etc etc, and loads of DNFs behind me) and have previously only done 2 other CX races.

I think I'm technically quite good at CX, but below average as an MTBer (because I never ride MTB). Is this more MTB race technical than CX race technical?

I'm starting to think this is a bad idea and I'd enjoy it more if I entered next year when I'll be stronger, but then some of the best ones always are...
  • sheffsimon
    Milese wrote:
    I'm interested in doing this as well.

Part of their criteria for assessing entries is:
    a carefully chosen entry list made up of a balanced and representative selection based on factors such as age category, gender, experience, ability etc. will be produced.

Does that mean that they want a wide spread of ability, or will they simply pick those with the best cycling CVs?

In terms of required ability - I was doing quite well as a third cat last year, did the first CX race of my local season and came around 23rd out of about 80 from memory, then I got glandular fever (and my first child was born) and haven't raced since. I'm now looking for a slightly 'hair-brained' event to enter to give me the inspiration to get back into training.

I did one MTB race last year and I think was the last finisher (I thought it was 3 laps, but it was 7, ran out of drink etc etc, and loads of DNFs behind me) and have previously only done 2 other CX races.

I think I'm technically quite good at CX, but below average as an MTBer (because I never ride MTB). Is this more MTB race technical than CX race technical?

I'm starting to think this is a bad idea and I'd enjoy it more if I entered next year when I'll be stronger, but then some of the best ones always are

Only technical bits are being able to go downhill without thinking of the consequences. From memory, ingleborough descent is really steep at the top, expect fell runners to be running past you, then it's a rocky rutty track taken at speed. Where side is wooden board tracks, penyghent is another steep rocky track taken at stupid speed, especially when it's so steep your brakes don't slow you down. :)
  • xj550yam
    xj550yam Posts: 5
    Just got the the confirmation email i'm in. :D
    Now the hard work starts :(
  • hairyleg
    hairyleg Posts: 134
    Me too :D
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • petemadoc
    Oh 5hit! !

I got in...
  • Mike67
    Me four :shock:

Need to find some big hills to run up now :(
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Shoulder pads are the way to go :-)
  • petemadoc
    Can someone recommend me a pair of shoes for cyclocross races. The soles on my current MTB shoes are very hard plastic which aren't great for running and don't offer enough grip, especially on rocky surfaces.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    hahahaha you're all mad!

i did it once during my cross hey-day but punctured 4 times on whernside descent due to the drainage channels in the track being slightly raised - my bunny hopping was badly timed - and ran out of tubes. My support (for me and team mates) cleared off before I got off whernside as had other riders to support and I was behind schedule due to the punctures. Luckily there was a van at the viaduct that gave me and a guy who'd crashed and ripped his seat off a lift back to the start. Never had the balls to enter again and stuck to regular cross ever since.

I was given this tip after - stick an old road tyre inside your cross tyre. May be heavier but no (or very low) risk of punctures!

And get some foam pipe lagging for your top and seat tubes for when you shoulder the bike.
  • petemadoc
    Anyone got any training tips for this event? I'm just not used to shouldering the bike for long periods.

So far my plan goes like this

Find a big hill, put bike on shoulder and run up big hill... repeat

Top tube now has some attractive pipe lagging which helps a lot!
  • petemadoc
    Arrrggh

Another question.

How the feck do you carry water???? I've watched some videos and some of the top guys have helpers they grab a bottle off on the route. I'm guessing the options are use a camelback type thing or stick a bottle in your jersey pocket which may well fall out.

What is the norm?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm not in the race but I am "threepeakcurious".

What footwear do you wear? Not sure I'd fancy running on rock in bike shoes, but I take it no one uses flat pedals and wears fell running shoes?
  • petemadoc
    hammerite wrote:

What footwear do you wear? Not sure I'd fancy running on rock in bike shoes, but I take it no one uses flat pedals and wears fell running shoes?

MTB clipless shoes

I just bought some with a fairly decent rubber sole, nice and grippy. They have 2 football style studs at the front which should help when running up grassy hills.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Arrrggh

Another question.

How the feck do you carry water???? I've watched some videos and some of the top guys have helpers they grab a bottle off on the route. I'm guessing the options are use a camelback type thing or stick a bottle in your jersey pocket which may well fall out.

What is the norm?
    I think a camelbak is the main solution used by those without helpers. Also provides somewhere to put spare rations, clothes and innertubes.

Ruth
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

MTB clipless shoes

I just bought some with a fairly decent rubber sole, nice and grippy. They have 2 football style studs at the front which should help when running up grassy hills.

Ah ok. Yes I have some of those for cross.

Hard sole though. Not sure I'd fancy trusting them running up/down rocky stuff.
  • petemadoc
    hammerite wrote:

Ah ok. Yes I have some of those for cross.

Hard sole though. Not sure I'd fancy trusting them running up/down rocky stuff.

Yeah my old ones had a really hard sole so I had a look for something else. Found some Lake shoes reduced on Wiggle and they have much more give in them and more grip too so win win.
  • petemadoc
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Arrrggh

Another question.

What is the norm?
    I think a camelbak is the main solution used by those without helpers. Also provides somewhere to put spare rations, clothes and innertubes.

Ruth

Looking at pictures from past years there seems to be a real mix of solutions. Many seem to have 1 bottle on the seat tube but I can't imagine this is very comfortable when shouldering the bike, I'll have a little experiment. Others seem to have no water at all and others have a camelback
  • petemadoc
    Gave the bike a service last night. New cables and everything cleaned and lubed. Fancy pipe lagging installed.

My target is to come somewhere near the top 100 but as it's my first time I don't really know what to expect so won't be too upset if it all goes wrong.

8d3284a2036411e2bcc122000a1d0352_7.jpg

Anyone else getting excited?

I think I solved my water carrying issues, think I've persuaded my wife to be a support crew and hand out bottles to me :D
  • sheffsimon
    Last time I rode, there were quite a few people on penyghent lane handing out drinks to all and sundry, blackcurrant cordial and salt springs to mind.....that was in the era of toeclips and Rivat cross boots mind :D

Anyway, chapeau and good luck to all those riding on Sunday week, its 'kin pleasurable purgatory at the time, especially by the time you get to penyghent lane, but great once its over :) Wish I was riding...
  • I don't know whether to be nervous or excited about this. I have a total lack of off road experience, can't change a puncture in less than 20 minutes and have never even seen the hills we will be climbing.

But I'm going to give it my best shot and see where I end up. A&E probably!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Gave the bike a service last night. New cables and everything cleaned and lubed. Fancy pipe lagging installed.

You might be better with the pipe lagging going around the cornet of the top tube / seat tube where it sits on your shoulder.
  • petemadoc
    Pross wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

You might be better with the pipe lagging going around the cornet of the top tube / seat tube where it sits on your shoulder.

Thanks for the tip but I've done a few training rides and I'm happy with lagging just on the top tube. The only problem I have is the non drive side crank arm can dig into by lower back at times but I'll live with it. A Gilet in the back pocket pads it out a bit.

Could everyone please join me in a quick prayer for some good weather :D
  • sheffsimon
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Thanks for the tip but I've done a few training rides and I'm happy with lagging just on the top tube. The only problem I have is the non drive side crank arm can dig into by lower back at times but I'll live with it. A Gilet in the back pocket pads it out a bit.

Could everyone please join me in a quick prayer for some good weather :D

Do you still have to carry a bivvy bag and whistle?

Probably the pain/cramp in your legs whilst staggering up Whernside and Penyghent Lane will distract you from the crank digging in yer kidneys :)

Gonna be a muddy one I guess with the recent biblical downpours....