New tyres, two blow outs

FleetPaul
FleetPaul Posts: 18
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Today I fitted Schwalbe Durano S tyres (23 mm) onto Mavic CXP22 rims. No problem fitting them and inflating them up to around 100psi. However, within one mile of riding I'd had a front wheel blow out. Rotten luck but no harm done so I set about replacing the tube (Continental 700 x 18-25). As I was inflating the tube it blew again. At which point I gave up and walked home.

Any idea what's going on here? Any compatibility problem between my rims, tyres and tubes? Or am I commiting some schoolboy error? I've since noticed a small tear in the wall of the tyre and I'm not sure whether this is a likely root cause or a symptom of the blow out. I've changed numerous tubes before but this is the first time I've switched to new tyres having previously used 25mm Specialized All Condition.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    to go bang, the tube has to burst outside the tyre

typically that's likely to mean the tube was nipped between rim and tyre bead, as you pump it up, the tube forces the tyre off the rim, bang

less likely are things like...
    - damaged tyre - you mention a tear in the tyre, if it's all the way through the casing and long enough, it could be the cause
    - damaged/worn rim
    - bad rim tape

when changing tubes, it's always worth noting where the puncture is with respect to tyre and rim, then if it does recur you can tell if it was the same place and investigate
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FleetPaul
    FleetPaul Posts: 18
    Thanks SG. Good to know that it's not due to my tyre / wheel combo as I really like the look of the Duranos.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Where in the inner tubes were the holes? If they were on the side, then it's likely you pinched the tube, if on the under side i.e. touching the rim, check whether the rim tape is damaged or has moved - if so, a spoke may have pierced the tube.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    sungod wrote:
    to go bang, the tube has to burst outside the tyre

typically that's likely to mean the tube was nipped between rim and tyre bead, as you pump it up, the tube forces the tyre off the rim, bang

This is exactly how it happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and at least part of the reason (I suspect) was re-using a tube that had already done service in a larger profile tyre - as a result, it was relatively easy to get a bit of it pinched under the bead. Now I notice you've gone from a 25 to a 23mm section tyre . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have recently fitted new Durano S tyres (23mm) onto my summer wheels and used the inner tubes from my winter wheels (25mm tyres) without issue. I have done circa 200 miles on them currently.

You just need to make sure that the tyre bead is correctly seated all the way round the rim and that the inner is not trapped.

P.S - If I get an issue on my next outing I'm blaming you for making me write this :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.