Best Tyres for stopping flint??

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
My brother asked me if I knew any tyres that would be more resistant to picking up flint, and then the punctures from them (down in Surrey)

I don't know as where I live flint doesn't exist!

Two 50 mile rides at weekend and he pulled out 6 bits of flint he said.

Any advice? Tyres on there are GP4000s.

Comments

• griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    There might be an argument that says if he picked them out and had no punctures then the puncture protection on his existing tyres has done its job?

I'd say its the nature of the beast that these things will be picked up, good practice like removing debris from cuts and nicks after each ride gives you a decent chance of riding puncture free...if there is such a thing! I hear good things about the contis - so much so I have a pair on the way :)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    i found my 4000s picked up more road debri as the "s" is stickier....great for handling mind !
    Harder compound on Mich. Pro3's isn't as bad...also find they offer good protection. Even getting are Conti Gators...very strong and recommended
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Gatorskins are pretty useless in these parts - unless you want to see your tyres ripped to shreds in one ride, as I have experienced. One the basis of me and my four mates who typically ride 90-100miles every Saturday on some of the filthiest roads Surrey and Hampshire have to offer all year, and only suffering one puncture between us since last summer, the consensus is that GP4Seasons, Durano S or Bonty Hard Cases are better than most. Only the Marathon Plus is truly impregnable but ride like wood. If you want a racier feel, the Ultremo DDs or Krylions are good, but they aren't impregnable. I've just replaced a DD after 6 months - it only punctured once, but looks like it was fitted by Edward Scissorhands. BTW run 25mm and drop the pressure slightly -
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus are truly astonishing in their capacity to stop stuff getting through to the inner tube.

And truly awful in terms of ride quality and rolling resistance. Ultremo DDs seem to be pretty resistant though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't really offer a comparison, but my 25mm Conti 4 Seasons are holding up well after nearly 4 years / 4k miles. Quite flinty round these parts. Only punctures have been 2 very sturdy thorns, and one of those was through the sidewall.

(I'm not counting the pinch flat as a result of my being too lazy to top up the tyres before a night ride then riding into a pothole at speed)
  • turnerjohn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Gatorskins are pretty useless in these parts - unless you want to see your tyres ripped to shreds in one ride, as I have experienced. One the basis of me and my four mates who typically ride 90-100miles every Saturday on some of the filthiest roads Surrey and Hampshire have to offer all year, and only suffering one puncture between us since last summer, the consensus is that GP4Seasons, Durano S or Bonty Hard Cases are better than most. Only the Marathon Plus is truly impregnable but ride like wood. If you want a racier feel, the Ultremo DDs or Krylions are good, but they aren't impregnable. I've just replaced a DD after 6 months - it only punctured once, but looks like it was fitted by Edward Scissorhands. BTW run 25mm and drop the pressure slightly -

I thought Gators had better protection then GP4seasons ? agree the 4seasons are very very good but I've found the Gators to be tougher...maybe just luck ?
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    edited May 2012
    I ride in Kent (an area where flint is everywhere) and have no problems on my 23mm 4 seasons - but hey that is no guarantee it could just be blind luck.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    25mm GP 4 seasons. Wonderful tyres and very puncture resistant.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    thanks all for recommendations and experiences, will pass it all on
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Gatorskins are too prone to sidewall cuts IME whereas my GP4 Seasons have survived 3 winters intact.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Gatorskins are too prone to sidewall cuts IME whereas my GP4 Seasons have survived 3 winters intact.

+1 on the Gatorskins, mine were shredded during the recent rainy spell.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I ride in the Surrey Hills on GP4000s and have only had 1 puncture in the past 2 years, maybe I'm just lucky :)
  • turnerjohn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    funny you say that as I had a GP4 season blow from a side nick from a stone (guessing flint)...only tyre thats ever done it !
    TBH I think a lot is down to just bad luck. Other then that I've only had a couple of puntures in the winter for years and years when running GP4S.
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    +1 for Conti 4 Seasons
  • I've used gator skins around the hampshire area did about 600 winter miles and had no probs and now use gp4000s and no punchers yet but I've only done about 250 miles on em so far
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011