Insect Bites....why me?!?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
working on the garden last night, few of my mates helping

i was the only getting bitten by flies (im guessing the flies were midgies)

why only me?

is it just because im god damn tasty?

anyone else get eaten alive?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yes, it's because you are tasty.

When visiting hot countries with the Mrs I have no need of insect repellent as they all go straight for her and leave me alone. Apparently midges and the like don't like the taste of alcohol so suggest drinking generous quantities of gin throughout the summer months.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Asprilla wrote:

When visiting hot countries with the Mrs I have no need of insect repellent as they all go straight for her and leave me alone. Apparently midges and the like don't like the taste of alcohol so suggest drinking generous quantities of gin throughout the summer months.

Keeps the malaria at bay too...
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Only by stopping you from getting bitten in the first place. Getting shit-faced whilst suffering malaria isn't something I'd recommend, or be capable of.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,212
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Only if you drink it with tonic isn't it? :P
  • zn533
    zn533 Posts: 66
    I can't quite remember where I heard this (it might have been QI) but I think what happens is, everyone gets bitten, but some people react to the bites and others don't.

Your skin, for whatever reason, is reacting to the insect bites whereas your mates' skin does not. Sorry to put a downer on your god damn tasty theory!
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Oh yeah, quinine; Jesuits Bark.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah, but why else would you be drinking tonic?!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I can't believe I'm going to type this, but here goes:

Avon Skin So Soft is the best damn insect repellent you will EVER use. Buy some. Trust me on this, the stuff is bleeding awesome.

Manly handshake, manly handshake.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    zn533 wrote:

Your skin, for whatever reason, is reacting to the insect bites whereas your mates' skin does not. Sorry to put a downer on your god damn tasty theory!

funnily enough i got some scary lumps from where i got the bites, scratching helps for a few seconds then it itches again

im going to try gin
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My missus has been eaten alive already this year, me i have not had a bite.

Must be the G&T.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    higher than normal iron levels in the blood has an effect on insects biting (the more iron the thicker your blood is, if you weight 0.01 gram blood viscosity is a factor in your meal time habits

mosqit's will normall favour women over men first as well (estrogen attraction as the femails only bite)
  • mudcow007
    I can't believe I'm going to type this, but here goes:

Avon Skin So Soft is the best damn insect repellent you will EVER use. Buy some. Trust me on this, the stuff is bleeding awesome.

when i use to go spear fishing in Wales i would have apply liberally all over my head an shoulders as horse flies would literally chew your ears off

but putting that stuff on they left you alone

does it still smell funky though?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    don't normally have a problem and the area that are exposed tend to be hair tastic so larger stuff like horse flys tend to well end up dead.

midges etc, jungle spray/roll on works well. plus standing close to bonfire!
  • I can't believe I'm going to type this, but here goes:

Used by the SAS, y'know.

• Avon Skin So Soft is the best damn insect repellent you will EVER use.

Thanks for the tip KB. Does this work on those nasty tropical critters too, or just our soft British bugs?

Looks like you can get from Avon Discounts Online at £4.48 for one or £12.75 for three including postage.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I find if I don't take a Clarityn tablet I get bitten... if I do, they stay away (or maybe they bite but I don't react).

I also have a jumbo size bottle of this, bought in Oz, it really works well

CAER__00611_zoom.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Avon Skin So Soft is the best damn insect repellent you will EVER use.

Thanks for the tip KB. Does this work on those nasty tropical critters too, or just our soft British bugs?

Looks like you can get from Avon Discounts Online at £4.48 for one or £12.75 for three including postage.

Not tried against the big bugs but deffo works here. As to the cost... what cost? My Mum's an area rep so I get it for free :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Not tried against the big bugs but deffo works here. As to the cost... what cost? My Mum's an area rep so I get it for free :D

My wife suffers big time, so I'll try anything that gets recommended... thanks.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    haha all the evidence points to your mates tanked up on cheap gin from bargain booze - and they did your garden - in 3 months time you're going to wake and find the word tw@t spelt out in flowers. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.