Which size for a DH bike?

Lolage
Lolage Posts: 60
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm about 10/11 stone and 5"10/11. I'm looking at getting a downhill bike. I currently ride a small XC bike which does need upgrading really to a medium as its way to small for me now but don't people generally get a frame size up for DH bikes or should I stick with medium?

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Totally diferent sizing than for normal bikes.

Often you can find the height of a DH bie can be the same for a smaller or a larger frame.

TBH grt on some and have feel and get to some races and see what size of the frame you are looking at people of your height are using.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Nick's right. It's quite often the length, or reach of a DH bike that changes according to s/m/l "sizes", not it's saddle height.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    As yeehaa said, it's the length of the bike that changes most of the time in downhill bikes with regards to sizing (though standover too, but it's not really as important). I would say that if you're after a medium sized trail bike, a medium sized downhill bike will suit you, though it's best to try them out and see what fits.

Back in the day, people used to go a size too small generally, as they're more 'chuckable'. They're also MUCH less stable at speed, best to stick to the correct size...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Lolage
    Hmm

Basically I've found a Kona Stinky that I like the look of but not sure if its worth the 3 hour round trip to find out its too big. :( The Stinky is a L and I'm 5"10.
  • nicklouse
    Well the Stink has not been a DH. Frame for quite some time. So would say ever.

More info needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Lolage
    nicklouse wrote:
    Well the Stink has not been a DH. Frame for quite some time.

More info needed.

Ah sorry, I presumed it was all pretty much the same freeride/DH.

This is the bike: http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8179023/p4pb8179023.jpg

And the specs:
    Frame: Kona Clump DH 7005 Aluminium 7 inches of travel with Marzocchi Roco Coil R rear shock
    Fork: Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm travel with 20mm Thru-Axle
    Gears: Shimano Deore front and Shimano LX rear derailleurs
    Shifters: Shimano Deore trigger shifters
    Chainset: FSA Moto-X MegaExo cranks 36/24 with mrp chain device
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic V8
    Wheels: Sun MTX-S rims built on KK Disc 20mm thru axle front and Shimano M525 disc rear hubs
    Tyres: high roller 26 x 2.5
    Handlebars: Kona DH oversize
    Stem: Kona DH oversize
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Sport
    Seatpost: Kona Double Thumb
    pedals:crank brothers pedals

• nicklouse
    not a DH bike. not enough travel and too many gears. as that is designed for "some" pedaling uphill or slow tech riding on skinnies etc I would not consider it with out a try.

but at 5" 10 or 11 you could well be fine on it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Lolage wrote:
    Basically I've found a Kona Stinky that I like the look of but not sure if its worth the 3 hour round trip to find out its too big. :( The Stinky is a L and I'm 5"10.
    My mate is 5'10" /5'11" and has a M Stinky. It's not a proppa DH race bike but for non-competitive DH on a budget it's fine. The M is a little bit on the small side for me (I'm 6'2") but I can still ride it - the BB is forward, the head angle is slack-tastic and it's easy to get off the back. It's agile-ish and doesn't need rebuilding at the end of every run.

My own Scott Voltage is a L but I didn't feel uncomfortable on the S. The ride on the S was different - more agile & poppy - but imo there's no right or wrong size it depends on whether you want to hide behind the seatpost and let the suspension sort it out or slay every obstacle on the way.

As others have said the sizing for DH/FR bikes is quite random and it's not until you've been down the hill a few times that you realise you may or may not have bought the right bike.
  • Lolage
    nicklouse wrote:
    not a DH bike. not enough travel and too many gears. as that is designed for "some" pedaling uphill or slow tech riding on skinnies etc I would not consider it with out a try.

but at 5" 10 or 11 you could well be fine on it.

To be honest, I was going to get a dirt jump bike but after realising there are not really any proper dirt jump bikes around here a bike lke this may be more suitable. It will be used at places such as Ribbesford, Cannock Chase Downhill and Kinver Downhill/jumps. Is this bike suitable for things like this?

.blitz wrote:
    Lolage wrote:
    My mate is 5'10" /5'11" and has a M Stinky. It's not a proppa DH race bike but for non-competitive DH on a budget it's fine. The M is a little bit on the small side for me (I'm 6'2") but I can still ride it - the BB is forward, the head angle is slack-tastic and it's easy to get off the back. It's agile-ish and doesn't need rebuilding at the end of every run.

My own Scott Voltage is a L but I didn't feel uncomfortable on the S. The ride on the S was different - more agile & poppy - but imo there's no right or wrong size it depends on whether you want to hide behind the seatpost and let the suspension sort it out or slay every obstacle on the way.

As others have said the sizing for DH/FR bikes is quite random and it's not until you've been down the hill a few times that you realise you may or may not have bought the right bike.

Really then, just going to have a look I won't be able to tell if I've got the right size - I need to take it to cannock or somewhere?
  • .blitz
    Lolage wrote:
    Really then, just going to have a look I won't be able to tell if I've got the right size - I need to take it to cannock or somewhere?
    If you have experience and knowledge of how DH bikes ride then you might be able to tell if it's 'right' just by looking at it or sitting on it but you won't know for sure until you get it on the hill.

FWIW my mate has had the Stinky for a couple of years and steadily upgraded it. He flies down Stile Cop on it but he is a better rider than me and after all, it is Stile Cop not Fort Bill or Leogang etc. The way the bike rides is in the 'tank' category it just steamrollers its way downhill but it doesn't do woodwork or wallrides it is more towards the DH side of FR.

The spec for the bike you've given above has dual chainrings and single crown forks which is more of a FR bike than DH although still adequate for messing about on.

You say you were looking for a DJ bike? They are very different animals to DH bikes.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    .blitz wrote:
    The way the bike rides is in the 'tank' category it just steamrollers its way downhill but it doesn't do woodwork or wallrides it is more towards the DH side of FR.

I have a Kona Minxy - a close relative of the Stinky - and I would 100% agree with this. It does indeed just blast through everything!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Lolage
    .blitz wrote:
    Lolage wrote:
    If you have experience and knowledge of how DH bikes ride then you might be able to tell if it's 'right' just by looking at it or sitting on it but you won't know for sure until you get it on the hill.

FWIW my mate has had the Stinky for a couple of years and steadily upgraded it. He flies down Stile Cop on it but he is a better rider than me and after all, it is Stile Cop not Fort Bill or Leogang etc. The way the bike rides is in the 'tank' category it just steamrollers its way downhill but it doesn't do woodwork or wallrides it is more towards the DH side of FR.

The spec for the bike you've given above has dual chainrings and single crown forks which is more of a FR bike than DH although still adequate for messing about on.

You say you were looking for a DJ bike? They are very different animals to DH bikes.

Reason I mention a DJ bike is cause my mate has bought on to use as an XC bike and also to use at Stile Cop/Ribbesford (downhill jump places). I however am going to keep my XC bike to use for the trails at cannock etc but want a bike more suitable for downhill.

The Stinky looks as if it could do the job? :roll:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Meh, it'll do.
    Nick has different qualification for DH bike, I suspect, and wouldn't agree with what most people round 'ere call "Downhill".
  • nicklouse
    yep as i ride big hills. and have been know to do a race or two.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    yep as i ride big hills. and have been know to do a race or two.
    I'm with you on this, however, concession must be made for people who think DH is riding down a slope in the woods :wink:
  • nicklouse
    and as for FreeRide I am of the old Skool. ie playing in the woods with skids and shit or big hucks on is older than the other.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've always thought of freeride as just messing about with no real goal. You know, no "hey, let's ride over there today", or "I'm going to try and do this faster than before".
    It's just, well, messing about, having fun. Whatever that may be.
  • .blitz
    Lolage wrote:
    The Stinky looks as if it could do the job? :roll:
    Only you can answer this

With all due respect it pays to be a little cautious when using the term 'DH' amongst enthusiasts it immediately conjures up images of Danny Hart and 3 minute gaps.

What you are probably looking for is a FR bike - a non-competitive DH bike that doesn't bite you in the arse if you ride it wrong but still lets you have fun on the hill without needing a rebuild after every run.

In this sense a Stinky would be a good choice. They are not uncommon at Stile Cop and although a size L may be a big old gate in some people's eyes it would have the length, weight and slack angles to inspire confidence. Spesh Big Hits are also pretty popular.
  • Lolage
    Cheers, yeah looks as if I need a free ride bike. Its only to have abit of fun really on some jumps. Nothing too serious.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stinky doesn't ride very nicely & even by DH standards it weighs a ton.
    Specialized Big Hit is much nicer, so is the Santa Cruz Bullit, Orange Patriot, Giant Faith, Giant Reign X & Scott Voltage. You can get any of these pretty cheap.