Gear ratio choices

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently run 11-32 on rear cassette and 22-32- 44 up front.

I need to change my chainrings as they're getting worn (may also change my cassette (and chain obviously), and thinking about possibly changing my gear ratios as I sometimes run out of gears at the top end when at speed.

I can't change to a 10 speed setup as I've recently bought some new 9sp shifters and cannot afford to get a new groupset + hub to accomodate the 10 speed cassette.

Would changing my ratios help the problem? (I know it wouldn't be a huge difference, but every little helps).

What would be the best ratios to go for which would be a step or so up from what I currently have.

If I do change ratios, I know I'd have to change the height of the front mech, would I also have to re-index the gears?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    44/11 is a very tall gear on an MTB, more than most XC pros use! Even on an average 26er wheel, pedalling at 120rpm is nearly 40mph. Unless you are regularly topping 40mph I would not bother, as you'd need a 48/38/28 chainset, maybe a new front mech too, to gain less than 10%.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As SS says, i suspect this is more about improving you and your ability to generate good peadl speed, than improving your bike, much cheaper to fix you!

On an excercise bike I regularily top 120rpm and I can't pedal out my on road commuter (46/11) when it tops over 40mph downhill. I never pedal out my MTB on 36/11.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.