Road v mtb: different muscles used

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yeah road doesn't build any strength, I have built more on road than I did off road, or am I a freak?

I ain't saying that mtb doesn't involve more brain work but to say road doesn't is foolish and makes yourself look a bit of a moron.

I would like a list of the muscles you use off road vs road though, I suspect it's the intensity at which you use them rather than a whole different set.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    edited May 2012
    Paul E wrote:
    Yeah road doesn't build any strength, I have built more on road than I did off road, or am I a freak?
    nah not a freak... just slow! :wink:

and by strength i mean all over.. Look at your typical DH mtber vs your avg road cyclist.. The roadies may have big legs.. but weenie arms... lol
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Rushmore wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

But always with style!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Paul E wrote:
    Rushmore wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

But always with style!

and isn't that what mtb is all about? :D
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i love these arguments , dedicated roadies always try to claim that the lower gearing on MTB's makes it easy. this simply isnt the case at all .
    the gearing is lower because it has to be. knobbly tyres, mud and more severe gradients would make them neigh on unridable with longer road gearing.
    the styles of riding are different too , road riding is quite static effort wise ,you get into a rythym and just tap out miles changing gears where needed to accomodate hills etc .
    proper off road riding on the other hand is far from static with very regular max effort bursts for little steep bits trail obstacles etc .

for example my heartrate monitor tells me i'm working harder riding a fast rocky rooty decent on a mountainbike that i am holding a steady 20mph on a flat road .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    white91 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    white91 wrote:
    MTB is far more demanding than road

Either substantiate that comment or retract it

Anyone who has actually done both should not need it sustantiating.

As you clearly have never ventured off road, you cannot appreciate energy needed to move you weight around the bike, soak up the bumps and jumps, lose traction, ride through mud and rivers, handle braking forces, fight suspension 'bob', ride tight switchbacks, be able to pick a line and find grip, ride on the edge of physics.

I competed in my first mountain bike race in 1992, when Frischknecht & Tomac were in their pomp. You stick to your stories of suspension 'bob' and switchbacks.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Or maybe some people only MTFU when they get a roadie as it's more obvious when they take rests sat at the side of the road.

As for the roadies that seem to harp on about MTB's having easy gears... what's that word?? Oh yes, MTFU and use a harder one you lazy ***** lol

The sob stories about traction is the limiting factor when climbing makes me chuckle. Actually what gets you up hills fast is momentum and skill ... so that means riding fast and skilfully rather than taking the easy option and spinning in an easy gear.
    But yes, if you have poor offroad skills and are reasonably fit, it will be your skill level that will be the limiting factor on a MTB.. but just because you have poor offroad skills, it doesn't mean MTB is easier!
    Simon
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    white91 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    white91 wrote:

As you clearly have never ventured off road, you cannot appreciate energy needed to move you weight around the bike, soak up the bumps and jumps, lose traction, ride through mud and rivers, handle braking forces, fight suspension 'bob', ride tight switchbacks, be able to pick a line and find grip, ride on the edge of physics.

I competed in my first mountain bike race in 1992, when Frischknecht & Tomac were in their pomp. You stick to your stories of suspension 'bob' and switchbacks.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz is there ever a point to your posts? Do you ever contribute anything useful?

It shows how out of touch you are attempting to compare a 1992 trail with a 2012 trail, I'm pretty sure most CX trails are more technical then '92 trails.

Get out and ride the XC black run at Dalby, then come talk to me.

The only story here seems to be you mentioning yourself in the same sentence as Tomac, we were all big time charlies back in the day weren't we??
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    white91 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    white91 wrote:

back in the days when mountain bike races were so technical that tomac would regularly use drop bars on his bike . . .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    What a pointless debate.

Any form of physical activity can be as easy or as challenging as you want to make it. The maths might say (and I'm not sure I agree with this anyway) that a 10K run is uequivalent to a 60k road session, but it certainly isn't if a) I choose to run at a relatively dawdling pace with a nice relaxed rhythm for 10K and b) I choose to cycle 60K into a howling headwind over mountain roads without ever coming off the big ring. And most road cyclists would never propose that doing 30K or 40k on the flat with no wind or hills constitutes any serious form of physical challenge and so therefore wouldn't be trying to persuade anyone that it was anything other than a warm up for something more serious. And when it gets serious, it's torture

As for the excitement/brainpower differential, well the only thing I can say is that yes, from my limited experience on the WC course up at Glen Nevis that downhill MTB is indeed exciting, but so is doing stupid speeds through London on my motorbike. But seeing as I'm not an 8 year old who needs constant stimulation, I welcome the opportunity to get onto the road, fix my gaze into the distance and get those pedals churning. I find it theraputic and good for the soul. And I dont need to drive miles to find somewhere to play either. I just roll out of the garage and off I go.
  • Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    white91 wrote:

I completely agree.

I find that even on flats going down a road it is harder on a mountain bike compared to road.

I push myself constantly on my mountain bike when on the road, where as going on a longer ride on a road bike life is so much easier.
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    Sicario wrote:
    white91 wrote:

I completely agree.

I find that even on flats going down a road it is harder on a mountain bike compared to road.

I push myself constantly on my mountain bike when on the road, where as going on a longer ride on a road bike life is so much easier.

That's not mountain biking though, is it? That's road biking on a mountain bike. By your logic, that's like saying that road biking is tougher than mountain biking because it's more difficult to go across rough terrain on a road bike than a mountain bike.
  • Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    Sicario wrote:
    white91 wrote:

I completely agree.

That's not mountain biking though, is it? That's road biking on a mountain bike. By your logic, that's like saying that road biking is tougher than mountain biking because it's more difficult to go across rough terrain on a road bike than a mountain bike.

OK point well made!

But I still do off road as well and agree, so :wink: