Spraypainting mtb stem and bar

olryst
olryst Posts: 48
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I want to spray my stem blue and my bar titanium colour.

To match my new titanium / blue Giant Anthem X 4 Frame.

Both my stem and bar are black at the moment.

Any advice on how to go about this and what paint to use?

Thanks.

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Not sure this is a good idea. The extra layer of paint will change the diameter of the bars and stem meaning they may not have a good interface any more.

You could mask up the clamping area and spray around it though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you watch Gok?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cooldad wrote:
    Do you watch Gok?

who me? no I don't. should I?
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    if you really wanna do it, remove the old paint etc, and sand it so its nice and smooth, if its aluminium then you will need acid etch primer, then spray the colour you want, then clear coat
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    To be honest, by the time you have bought primer, 2 colours of paint and clear coat, plus sanding stuff, not forgetting the time and effort and the chance of getting a crap finish....

.... why not just buy a new, blue stem and some new bars. Probably find both for under £30 if you look hard enough. Then you might even be able to flog your old stuff and make some of the money back?

Unless I had the paint lying about I wouldn't bother respraying anything smaller than frame/forks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jairaj wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Do you watch Gok?

Not you
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Spraying never (usually!) comes out as you hope plus when you slide your shifters and brake levers back on it's likely to mangle the paint. Also if your stem ain't a "front loader" it's going to do the same. As mentioned above sell the current ones and buy some blue controls.

Thanks.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Depends on your paint skill level though!

But as the chap blatently has not got a clue, then its safe to say it will probably turn out horrible :lol:

My advice would be to start googling paint spraying, get an old car body panel and practise a lot.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Spighty
    Spighty Posts: 90
    I have to say being able to spray paint myself it is quite a hard job to undertake.

It would change the diameter as well by the time you managed to get all the bits to do a good job you may as well have brought some new ones.

Once I have a bit more experience with my bike I am planing to paint the frame and forks but the time and cost involved in doing that will be a right pain if in honest.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Do you watch Gok?

Not you

tough crowd
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Get them powder coated, will cost you less than the price of your paint, ask the coater to lightly coat the bars were the grips and stem goes, the stem is fine just ask them to mask inside the hole were your steerer goes and lightly coat inside the faceplate.

Cost you about £20
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've often freshened up bike parts with a quick spray. You'd have to put a very, very thick coat on to cause any issues!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3