Numbness in foot where cleat is?

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Some of you will know I recently completed my first 100 miles ride, which was eventful to say the least. However, one of the things that was annoying me was numbness in my feet above where the cleats are posistioned. Now is this because my feet are not used to cycling for such a length of time, or is there something I can do to prevent this numbness.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so shoes too tight??

or the screws that cleats use can be just a bit too long and the tip of the bolt presses the bottom of your foot??

did the shoes come with extra bits that go under the insole??
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm getting this but mainly on my SPD-SL road shoes. My better padded SPD shoes only do it to about 1/20th the level. They're not too tight and I suspect it's because there's a bit less padding than my other shoes. I'm going to try putting in a second insole.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    No the shoes didnt come with anything extra, as soon as I uncliped the shoe from the pedal the numbness disappeared.

My shoes are Northwave Vertigo Pros and the cleats are Time with Time I-clic racer pedals.
  • Swarhouse
    Swarhouse Posts: 17
    I had the same problem as a junior, It was fixed by switching to a red cleat, and moving forward the cleat position. On my current S Works the rear of the cleat is in line with the 5 guideline on the bottom of the sole as standard. We move this with trial and error as injury's/weaknesses occur throughout the year, this helps other muscles groups take some strain of the weakness in the leg/back.
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    I had this problem initially. I cured it by literally loosening my shoes on the top part of my foot over the bridge and two, so it's Harley even done up, but keeping the strap near my angle tight..

You should then be able to move your toes freely when peddling.
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Generally its caused by cleats being too far forward; if the centre of the cleat (which should be market - eg spd-sls have a line on the side) is forward for the ball of your foot, it puts pressure on your toes and the bits that move with your toes -> causing numbness.

I assume its because the parts of your foot forward of the ball are movable and therefore effort is required to keep them stable if the cleat pressure is passing through.