I gave in to the air con and took the car!

benjii19
benjii19 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I didn't cycle to work today.... it was too warm and the shower in the office is still not working.

Poor excuse, If I do say so myself.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Fail.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'd not cycle often if I didn't have showers at work to be fair.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • benjii19
    rubertoe wrote:
    Fail.

Yep, I admit it.
    dhope wrote:

The idea of sitting at my desk looking a sweaty mess did put me off. Not even a shower in a can would have helped!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    benjii19 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Fail.

Yep, I admit it.
    dhope wrote:

The idea of sitting at my desk looking a sweaty mess did put me off. Not even a shower in a can would have helped!

To be fair, i wouldnt ride if i didnt have showers either.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fail

It's hardly hot and if you just take the edge off your pace you shouldn't need to work up a sweat anyway.

Why anyone would choose not to cycle in this weather is a mystery to me. It's almost the perfect temperature at the minute. I think Benjii is Goldilocks only without the 'just right' :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • benjii19
    Rolf F wrote:
    Fail
    It's hardly hot and if you just take the edge off your pace you shouldn't need to work up a sweat anyway.
    quote]

Any edge of my pace and I'd be stationary :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    blasphemy2.jpg
  • benjii19
    Any edge of my pace and I'd be stationary :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    It was pretty hot this morning; had a nice pootle instead of the mad frenzy....in fact, I think that pootling may be the new SCR.
  • rick_chasey
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It was pretty hot this morning; had a nice pootle instead of the mad frenzy....in fact, I think that pootling may be the new SCR.

Hehe, I was going to but the gf mentioned/complained that my thighs were 'getting big again' 'like they used to be [when I was super fit training for the Pyrenees]", so I got a bit of extra incentive to really push it :).
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Rolf F wrote:
    Why anyone would choose not to cycle in this weather is a mystery to me. It's almost the perfect temperature at the minute. I think Benjii is Goldilocks only without the 'just right' :lol:

It is "just right", but it is just as "just right" for a drive with the hood down as it is "just right" for a cycle... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

It is "just right", but it is just as "just right" for a drive with the hood down as it is "just right" for a cycle... :wink:

Well maybe (though I think 'just right' for the hood down is probably rather warmer than 'just right' for the cycle) but dear Benjii is talking about driving inside a box with the horrible artificial icy blast of an air conditioner.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Fail.
    And you are just showing off.
    8 degrees here this morning. Normal service has been resumed :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • benjii19
    That's it I'm riding to work tomorrow....[spits dummy out of pram]
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    It's ok for you, we don't have showers. I have to settle for drying my back under the hand dryer, a quick rinse of the pits and some deoderant. :(
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    InkZ wrote:
    It's ok for you, we don't have showers. I have to settle for drying my back under the hand dryer, a quick rinse of the pits and some deoderant. :(

I am still sitting here in my kit.......it's not pleasant!
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    i don't shower at work - just wait a bit to stop sweating then get changed. am now rather worried i'm one of those people who doesn't realise they're really, really stinky.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • rick_chasey
    aeon wrote:
    i don't shower at work - just wait a bit to stop sweating then get changed. am now rather worried i'm one of those people who doesn't realise they're really, really stinky.

Nah, you're not the only one. If you're putting clean clothes on once the sweat's evaporated then you won't be smelly - especially if your kit isn't smelly either.

I pootle the last 5 mins of my commute. Add the 5 mins to lock up bike etc, 5 mins to get into changing rooms, 5 mins of slowly changing and you're 20 mins from your last proper effort. Should be pretty sweat free by then.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    The shower at work is more of a dribble. So, I tend to use the disabled khazi sink and a flannel.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    thought it was quite cool this morning, certainly cooler than it was last week.

Been promised showers in the new set of offices being proposed but not holding my breath
  • benjii19
    I rode in today... it was raining.

Cue Colleagues questioning my sanity on choosing a rainy day to ride.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    benjii19 wrote:
    I rode in today... it was raining.

Cue Colleagues questioning my sanity on choosing a rainy day to ride.

Quite rightly too!
    Who chooses to drive on a warm sunny day and then cycle on a cold wet day?
    Madness :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • benjii19
    I actually like the droplets of water dripping off my helmet......errrrrrrrrrr :P (maybe keep that quiet!)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have a decent excuse for not riding today, I twisted my left knee and ankle and could barely walk last night. The rain helped cement my decision this morning.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.