Fox Forks lack of any compression

Pete Seymour
Pete Seymour Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I had my F100 RL forks serviced recently and have just returned from my 3rd ride since.

Before my ride, I dropped the air pressure in the fork to 60psi as per fox's recommendations for my weight which is 65kg. I also slowed my rebound by a couple of clicks but don't think this is the cause. ANyway, halfway round Cwmcarn XC this morning, I hit a rock garden and a took a medium size hit dropping off a boulder (nothing major) and I've lost pretty much all my compression in my fork. The fork now compresses fully when in lock-out mode, makes a bit of a clunky noise, and generally feels pretty wobbly. I'm not expert at forks, and will return to the bike shop that serviced them, but if a simple remedy can be found in the meantime it would be appreciated. I checked the air press when I returned and it was reading around 50psi. So I pumped it up to 70psi and it still feels the same, clunky.
many thanks
Pete

Comments

• JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    You mean there is n damping oe they just have no resistance to compression e.g they compress fully under the weight of the bike (loads of pre load), if this is the cse sounds linke something is adrift in the air piston side.

If its a damping issue then try the other side, if you're unsure take them back to the guys that serviced them.
  • Hi John. The forks just copmress really easily, don't feel very secure or controlled when they do, make an odd noise and just gererally feel really wobbly and loose.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Hmm. Do they have compression adjust or just lockout?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    First of all, ignore the "Recommended pressure" for your weight. Just adjust the pressure until you're getting the right sag - about 15-20% of the total travel.
    And, it sounds as though something's failed in the damper unit. Take them back to where they were serviced.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    First of all, ignore the "Recommended pressure" for your weight. Just adjust the pressure until you're getting the right sag - about 15-20% of the total travel.
    And, it sounds as though something's failed in the damper unit. Take them back to where they were serviced.

And this is taste dependent, Most people go around 30%. for my rear shock for instance recomended is 40%
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740

And this is taste dependent, Most people go around 30%. for my rear shock for instance recomended is 40%
    True enough, but 15-20% is normal for a fork of this length.
    Rear suss can sometimes need to be set to a certain sag in order to extract the best riding characteristics, but it doesn't affect forks so much.