iPhone app to measure hill gradients?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Is there an iPhone app that can calculate the hill gradient through the GPS I don't want to spend a fortune on a dedicated gadget

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    There's plenty like Strava or Endomondo that show the gradient on a recorded ride.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    theyre not always reliable though - last week apparently I went up a 645% gradient.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    If you don't need it live, i.e. if you don't need it displaying as you ride, you can just export a .gpx file from most apps (e.g. Cyclemeter) and drop it into the bikehike website and then just set it to show gradient rather than elevation across the route. Job done.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    MotionX GPS will give you a current (live) gradient reading, as well as total ascent, total descent and a little chart showing the altitude of your ride so far.
  • why does strava not have an autopause feature it's so annoying as I have quite a lot of heavy traffic on some of my route and lights etc.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    why does strava not have an autopause feature it's so annoying as I have quite a lot of heavy traffic on some of my route and lights etc.

Your ride is what it is. Otherwise I could ride 5 miles flat out, have a rest for half an hour then do it again, smashing my 10 mile PB.
    It's like people on Sportives using their 'moving time' as the time taken to finish the route, ignoring the 3 x 20 minutes spent at feed stations...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    NapoleonD wrote:
    why does strava not have an autopause feature it's so annoying as I have quite a lot of heavy traffic on some of my route and lights etc.

Your ride is what it is. Otherwise I could ride 5 miles flat out, have a rest for half an hour then do it again, smashing my 10 mile PB.
    It's like people on Sportives using their 'moving time' as the time taken to finish the route, ignoring the 3 x 20 minutes spent at feed stations...

Absolutely, if this was the case you could ride half way up a hill. Have a 30 minute tea break. Then ride up the other half to claim the KOM.