Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Before I push the button on a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 from Ribble @ £160 inc P&P (until Thursday) are there any alternatives I should consider, say +/- £15?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Well I've got the threes and they are superb wheels. Very sturdy and rapid with good inners/tyres. So if they're anything like as good, I would thoroughly recommend them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    No go ahead pull the trigger but what happened to my post?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • optimisticbiker
    You posted about your 7's elsewhere...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You posted about your 7's elsewhere...

oh :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    planet x al30 @ £150 was my alternative. Very happy with mine.
  • optimisticbiker
    Yukirin wrote:
    planet x al30 @ £150 was my alternative. Very happy with mine.
    Thanks, but already pushed the button on the FR5s.

The AL30C are on special offer at £130 as well, but 32/32 spoked as against 20/24. Weight is virtually identical.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Great wheels. I prefer my Coles. But the 5's are solid wheels
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • optimisticbiker
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Great wheels. I prefer my Coles. But the 5's are solid wheels
    The FR5 do get good reviews.

With Bontrager R2 fitted they'll be 600g lighter than the ALX-190/Zaffiro combo I have now so that'll help my weeklend climbing! I'll move the ALX-190s to the commuter and refit the Conti gatorskins (currently on heavy and worn out Alex DA16 rims) I have on there. That'll save 500g or so on the commuter... :) win-win all round.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Another + for the FR5's. Swapped them onto my commuter at the beginning of last year. Light(ish), sturdy and not one spoke problem in 8000+ miles. I'd previously had FR7's but upgraded after they wore out. :oops:
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    +1 on the 5's , great set of wheels , light enough and so far bombproof !! , ideal set of wheels that do everything !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • optimisticbiker
    Almost tempted to get a second set for the commuter :)... but budget won't allow this month...