Pro team kits

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Good evening.

At the weekend went out on a ride and more often than not wear a team Sky top. Now at the weekend I got some amount of abuse hurled at me by guys in various club kits and on far more expensive looking gear than I own.

What is it with people in the cycling world, lots of us moan about how the rest of the world hate us but then go on a do something like that. I once went on a club run with a Glasgow club, that shall not be named, and was asked not to come back until I had a different top.

I support team Sky, and so do many others, but apparently its not Ok to do wear a top to show this but it is Ok to have a top with a bean's manufacturer on it or your favorite yeast product?

It sickens and intimidates me, I'm not a young boy just new to this, to the point where I don't want to go to other club runs. I know I could take it off but I shouldn't have too, I understand people's reservations (I share them) about WC and National tops but I would never suggest that someone shouldn't wear them at all.

Would be nice to hear some opinions.

S

Comments

• I own a few team jerseys, sky to name one of them, and I can honestly say I've never had any abuse or comments because of it. I have heard various stories like yours about people in a world champions jersey but not just for wearing any team kit whatsoever.
    if it doesn't bother you then carry on as it's only making them get worked up over nothing which I find quite funny. I really can't understand the elitism of some people when we all cycle because we enjoy it regardless of what kit you do or don't own
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    there are some total ar*eholes out there and unfortunately some ride bikes...way of the world.
    I get the not wearing world champ tops etc...you earn the right only for that, but team kit is for everyone like yourself.
    I've heard some clubs are very particular with even forcing people to wear club jerseys etc...I've no time for people like these. My advise wear what you want, don't ride with ar*ses and if you get moaned at have a go back ! Personally I don't get riding team kit and prefer my own rather nice mavic jerseys :-)...but then its your choice and your intialled to wear what you like !
    keep at it....kalma will sort those people out in due course :-)
  • saunaboy
    saunaboy Posts: 116
    ...so do these people give grief to people who turn up to a 5-a-side game in a Man U top? Thought not.

I was originally a bit self conscious but sod it. Wear what you want. Cycling can be a funny sport, check out 'the rules' etc etc but just go out & ride your bike.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    So would they allow you to use your bike if it is in say "Liquigas" colour scheme. Life's too short...... but as has been said there are "strange" ones in every walk of life.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Often wear my team sky jersey. Not had any remarks as yet and certainly wouldn't take kindly to anyone offering their point of view.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Feck 'em
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Feck 'em! Wear what you like. I have a Sky jersey and a "retro" Del Tongo-Colnago jersey amongst mine. I wear replica footy & rugby shirts too, as well as a Bucs American football jersey on my commute at the moment. \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'd suggest that you call them c*nts and leave it at that. They shouldn't be offended, as it sounds like that's exactly what they are.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    What were they saying??

I've never had any abuse myself and I ride in team kit, including WC-striped top (shock horror!) and have never heard a word from others.

Fascinated to hear what that sort of nutter has to say!
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I agree with the National Champs jerseys and Worlds jerseys, however I have a couple Bianchi Milano jerseys that have the rainbow bands on the cuffs and collar, I can't wait for the day anyone out on the road gives me abuse/insults, they will get it back tenfold at the very least!! ;-)

sjmclean, feck the muppets, life is too short!!!
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    does this attitude to wearing trade jerseys only exist in the uk?.watch any big cycling event from europe and fans of all ages wear team kit.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Any club that treats newcomers like that will hopefully fall away into oblivion as word gets out about them!! There's having a bit of club banter about kit but thats way too far!! I wouldnt go back to that club regardless of what kit i wore in future.

As said - stuff em :D
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I also regularly wear my team Sky top, it's my favourite summer top. I was even out the other night in my HTC top, I've never had any abuse off anyone either.

I have had a bit of light hearted banter off the lads at work, when going home a couple will pass me in the car and shout "come on Bradley" or something like I'm finishing a stage of the TDF :lol:

Personally I wouldn't wear a championship or prize jersey, thats just my choice. I certainly wouldn't be a c**t to anyone who did though.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    binsted wrote:
    So would they allow you to use your bike if it is in say "Liquigas" colour scheme. Life's too short...... but as has been said there are "strange" ones in every walk of life.

Mine is, so I just went and bought some Liquigas gear. That way I can go out hard at the start of my ride and fade on the climbs... perfect replica rider :P
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    the sky kit looks brilliant when you see it in real life - keep on keepin on and p*ss the feckers off.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Since going along to the Durham round of the Halfords tour series and watching the rest on tv, I quite liked the look of the Rapha Condor jersey... till I saw the price :shock:

It's almost 3x the price of a SKY top! Why is there such a difference?

Here it is,

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    andy46 wrote:
    Since going along to the Durham round of the Halfords tour series and watching the rest on tv, I quite liked the look of the Rapha Condor jersey... till I saw the price :shock:

It's almost 3x the price of a SKY top! Why is there such a difference?

Here it is,

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey

Very nice but no way could I justify that much for a top. Most expensive top I've got was £70 (back in the day when I used to get overtime!) although told other half it was £40. Even that was 'bit much for just going for a bike ride'!!!!
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    This is why I wear my sports direct karimor naff tshirt.

I'm still unfamiliar with the rules...

Although I have bought some santini bib shorts after much deliberation.

What sort of tops do people with a belly wear?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Abuse or banter ?

If you turn up on a club run in the KOM jersey and you can't climb then you'll get the piss taken out of you, but never abuse ?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Stupidity - wear what you want - there is nothing wrong with heros or idols, and you buying a Sky top enhances their profile, which is why they sponsor in the first place - its a good job they do, Sky have given profile to our best british riders.. good on em.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    steve36 wrote:
    does this attitude to wearing trade jerseys only exist in the uk?.watch any big cycling event from europe and fans of all ages wear team kit.

I suspect it's to do with the way that cycling has developed in this country. For years it was a niche activity but has rocketed in popularity in the last 5 years or so. Those who were into it in the past are like sad pop fans who think they're superior because they fancied Cavendish waaaay before you'd even heard of cycling. I can't bear these folk.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    I've come across this attitude as well to be honest and though it might not come as second nature, you need to face them down and tell them to mind their own f'ing business.

You wear what you like mate and don't worry about it, Sky are doing a great job funding British Cycling and no matter what you think of that scum Murdoch, we should be grateful for their generous support.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Wear what you like, if you don't like the piss taken, then you need to develop a thicker skin or wear something plain. However I can't understand the attitude of some people, they are just rude.

Personally I don't like branded or team clothes of any description, and I try not buy clothes with a brand,team name or logo on them, it just don't do it for me. I thought the Heinz beans shirt looked fun, but really, they should be paying me to advertise their product.

There were a couple of really looking fit girls on the sportive the other day that looked good in the Sky jerseys, but they would have looked just as good in any other jersey.

If you want to wear branded gear all well and good, but don't become a victim or an endorser. Be a supporter.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    sjmclean wrote:
    What is it with people in the cycling world, lots of us moan about how the rest of the world hate us but then go on a do something like that. I once went on a club run with a Glasgow club, that shall not be named, and was asked not to come back until I had a different top.

S

Seriously?

I should take their advice and not go EVER AGAIN. :roll:

People can get very precious about a hobby we do for fun.

I've never heard of this actually happening! I'm sure this is pretty unusual behaviour. Find another club who aren't idiots.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    sancho1983 wrote:
    This is why I wear my sports direct karimor naff tshirt.

I'm still unfamiliar with the rules...

Although I have bought some santini bib shorts after much deliberation.

What sort of tops do people with a belly wear?

There aren't any rules if you're normal.

For sure you might get the odd :wink: comment if you're rocking a TdF yellow jersey, but no-one normal actually cares.

I ride around in all sorts of 'outrageous' kit, Quick-Step tops, Mercatone Uno tops, the 2010 Dutch national champion Quick Step jersey (worn by Nikki Terpstra), rapha jerseys worth more than the bike I'm riding.

Go nuts. If they care, then take pity on them for being irritated by something so utterly trivial and pointless.
  • Anonymous
    It was just things like "you should stop riding if your wearing that top" and one guy told me to be "embarrassed" for riding in that top. They did get abuse back but it just sickens me.

Yeah it wasn't even banter: the lead rider pulled me aside at the end of the run and said it to me.

I've never gone back and never will. Going out tonight with a new club representing Team Sky. Haha.

Thomas de Gendt has been a favourite of mine for some time and after his heroics at the Giro, thinking of ordering a Vacansoleil top but can’t seem to find one within my price range. Any recommendations?
  • Swarhouse
    Swarhouse Posts: 17
    My Wilier bike has the WC rainbow on should I not wear this? I am confused?
  • Anonymous
    Swarhouse wrote:
    My Wilier bike has the WC rainbow on should I not wear this? I am confused?

Wear it if you want. I would never say to anyone not to wear what they want when they cycle.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, going with the cheaper and full length zip one. Order it tomorrow! :D
This discussion has been closed.