Etape start, & tyres.

guillaume
guillaume Posts: 35
Hi - has anyone had any info re the etape start times, or race / pen numbers? I signed up for Acte II last year via the french website, and I think I was sent an email saying I'd get a number / start time before the event....but I've lost the email & have not heard anything since. Just wondering...?

Oh, and any advice re suitable tyres? Winter / training tyres, or something a bit lighter perhaps? Any suggestions welcome.
Thx.

Comments

• oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Signed up for both Acte I and II. Nothing yet.

Re tyres, I always use Continetnal GP4000s - good all year all rounder. On offer from a number of places e.g Tweeks c£29 at the moment.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    Signed up for both Acte I and II. Nothing yet.

Re tyres, I always use Continetnal GP4000s - good all year all rounder. On offer from a number of places e.g Tweeks c£29 at the moment.

Id agree with the Conti's too

And if you entered with an English name then expect to start at the back :)
    I was last away in bay 12 (the Rapha kettling pen!) with all the other Rosbifs last year

enjoy the day
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ride whatever tyres you race on in UK (GP4000S?) - the roads are generally pretty smooth over there and you'll want something fast and light. I am loving my Ultremo ZX, which would be another good option. One thing I would say is make sure you have a few miles in them before the big day - just to wear in the grip and make sure they don't have any latent defects like weaknesses in sidewall etc. I made the mistake of taking brand new GP4000 to the Pyrenees, first day it rained, next day (Etape) it was wet all day, brand new tyres were slipping all over the place and I ended up falling off going uphill!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Ride whatever tyres you race on in UK (GP4000S?) - the roads are generally pretty smooth over there and you'll want something fast and light. I am loving my Ultremo ZX, which would be another good option. One thing I would say is make sure you have a few miles in them before the big day - just to wear in the grip and make sure they don't have any latent defects like weaknesses in sidewall etc. I made the mistake of taking brand new GP4000 to the Pyrenees, first day it rained, next day (Etape) it was wet all day, brand new tyres were slipping all over the place and I ended up falling off going uphill!

Good advice there. I did something similar in this years Kentish Killer. Made me look a total ass.
  • Contis are coated in silicon to help get the tyres out of the mould they are made in, this needs to be scrubbed off, gentle rub with sandpaper will do. Not all tyres are like this but general rule is not to try new kit out on the day.