TALAS Owners ? your thoughts please.

twedspeed
twedspeed Posts: 130
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi – can anyone give me quick run down on TALAS forks , I am looking for a 32 - 150 mm fork with adjustable ride height – and the 32 TALAS FIT RLC seems to fit the bill.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/product.ph ... ref=filter

Would love to hear from TALAS owners – their experiences – opinions etc.
Can you do it on the fly ? - Is it easy to do ? I don’t want to have to get off and back on again to change heights ?
WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I ride a 36 talas on my 160 bike,

It's an OK fork though i don't think the fox air forks are the most sensitive of forks, and my experience of the 150's were they were a little flexy for my taste. I also find i use the adjustment very little and wish i had non travel adjustable fork at the end of the day :S
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I've got the 150 RL Talas on my Canyon Nerve. Yes you can change it on the fly, just lean over the front of the bike and flip the switch. Have to say though that other than trying it on the day I got the bike I've never bothered to use it. If it was a toss up between a fork with travel adjust or a slightly better fork without the adjust I'd definitely go with the latter.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,966
    36 Talas owner here as well.

It could be handy if you're riding a big variety of trails, although TBH I haven't used it much as I've got a shorter travel bike. As for changing it on the fly - well you probably can but it's better to stop than try to keep on riding while bending over the bars and trying to flip the control.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Like i've always said, TALAS just isn't useful in this country. May as well go for a non height adjustable and plusher float.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Like i've always said, TALAS just isn't useful in this country. May as well go for a non height adjustable and plusher float.
    Not sure about "this country", but I echo the rest of the sentiment.
    I've had two travel-adjust forks, and once the novelty wore off, I never bothered using the feature again. Neither of them were TALAS, but I just didn't really find it useful in any way.
    When I bought a fox 36, I went for a (non-TALAS) FloatRC2 instead.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had 32 talas r on my heckler and got rid,, the main reason was i was in whistler and the 32 with 140mm of travel was no wear near enough they kept bottoming out,, and the second reseon was how flexy they are..
    i replaced them with 36 talas rc2 much better fork especially for big terrain. and they dont flex...

i have 36 tals rc2 on both my bikes and do i ever use the adjustable travel no i leave them in their 160mm setting all the time...
    if i were in your shoes i would follow the advice above and go for float rc2 .. or if you want the plushest forks i ever seen then go for the bos deville....
  • twedspeed
    HI - Thanks for the replies everyone Very helpfull and I appreciate it - The reason I ask is I just bought the new 2012 Spesh Stumpy EVO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMZPbH4ug38
    after spending 4 years on a 2007/8 Spesh Enduro SL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChJjGho6KY4
    Obviously they are both VERY different bikes – both having their own particular geometrys , Thing is the new STUMPY dosent climb the REALLY REALLY STEEP stuff as well as the old ENDURO did - I,m not on about cranking your way up to the top of a long fire road climb “the new EVO does that just fine” – I,m on about those short real chain snapping killer sections , maybe 30 – 50 yards where you gotta just beast it, and you think your thighs are gonna explode .
    On my old Enduro forks (E150) I had a 40mm drop down option and I allways used it on the killer climbs –
    The STUMPY feels a little too high at the bars sometimes - So I,m gonna try all manner of set ups , I.E. Flip the stem – flat bar – and obviously an adjustable height fork.
    I can still do thses killer sections on my new Stumpy BUT its harder work and the stumpy is 3 LB lighter ! , This is obviously down to the geometry So I thought an adjustable height TALAS might help. I know I ve opened a can of worms by asking this question , So lets keep the replies “on topic”
    Cheers.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm almost certain it's to do with your positioning on the bike. MY wolfridge with 160mm Fox36s will get up some properly stupid inclines, obviously without lowering the forks. So I doubt that a Stumpy would struggle if you got your positioning right.
    Although I have to say I'm never been impressed with the FSR suspension system, it should still climb.
  • twedspeed
    YEEEHAAAAMcghee - I flipped my stem - simple as that, gave me the few CM,s that I needed - just got in from SLAUGTERING those damned tough climbs -
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Good for you :)