First Crit Race

Laser man
Laser man Posts: 54
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
Hi, Guys. I'm 15 and am two weeks away from my first crit, being so inexperienced I was wondering whether any of you more seasoned racers could give me some tips. It would be a real help and would make me not look like a tit in my first race, thanks.

I'm also after a new set of tyres, seeing as mine are a bit worn from the turbo. I was looking a Michelin Pro3's, is this a good idea or should I just get GP4000's?

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    GP4000's are awesome!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    First tip would be to make sure whatever tyres you buy have a few rides on them first to scrub them in and to get a feel for them. Your speed through corners will be vital in a crit so it pays to have confidense in your tyres and their ability.

Next tip would be to make sure you keep up near the front of the pack, third or fourth row is good, so you keep out of trouble and don't have that terrible yo yo-ing you get at the back of a pack.

Other than that just go and have some fun.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Tyre wise I've started using Schwalbe Ultremo this season and I really like them. Think they're similar to the Pro3.

Tips... keep to your line - if you need to move round look first and edge out gradually, no wild swerves. If you are able to try to keep moving forward in the bunch, again gradually - if you find yourself at the very back it can become very hard work especially on twisty or hilly circuits. If you have good legs maybe put a couple of digs in (but don't worry if you can't it's good just to get used to racing).

Most of all have fun.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    hammerite wrote:
    Tyre wise I've started using Schwalbe Ultremo this season and I really like them. Think they're similar to the Pro3.

Tips... keep to your line - if you need to move round look first and edge out gradually, no wild swerves. If you are able to try to keep moving forward in the bunch, again gradually - if you find yourself at the very back it can become very hard work especially on twisty or hilly circuits. If you have good legs maybe put a couple of digs in (but don't worry if you can't it's good just to get used to racing).

Most of all have fun.

Definitely Ultremos for cornering without braking.
  • Laser man
    Laser man Posts: 54
    Thanks for the advice. The course is completely flat but does have some tight bends which could be interesting.

Are the Ultremo's any good for training too, i.e puncture proof? Also where are they cheapest, I'm a bit tight on money, you see?
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    why compromise.

best race tyre ever made

Conti GP Supersonic. Fast grippy and v light (for you weight weenies)

13 seasons no flats usually threw them out as they wore out
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    best thing to do is go into the red on the first lap, blow up, get dropped and lapped twice. thats what i did anyway
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Don't get too hung up about your tyre choice. At this level, your fitness will make the biggest difference to how you get on. If you've not ridden much in a big bunch before it can be a bit intimidating. Riding with a club will help you get used to this. As said above, hold your line, i.e. don't swerve, don't overlap wheels with the person directly in front of you in case they swerve and take you out but don't get intimidated by others around you trying to push you out of your place in the line.

The most important piece of advice though is to get out there an have some fun.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If you're on a budget then GP4000S is a better choice than Pro3's, Ultremo's etc. Not quite as fast but the durability is much better (much more likely to get a season out of them). Any of them will be fine for racing though.

As for race advice, I'd try to spend the first 1/2 sitting in the pack and getting used to riding close, moving with the bunch and not dropping to the back every lap. By half way through you'll either be dropped, hanging on for dear life or know you're capable of attempting something.

Other than that, enjoy it.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It's your firts race, don't worry, juts ride it and learn and don't be disheartened if you don't get a result. Start as near to the front as possible so you can drop back without being shelled out the back.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    tyres faster than others? hmm never saw a tyre win a race before. Much to personal choice though I am 100% sure no one will win a race by changing tyres.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    tyres faster than others? hmm never saw a tyre win a race before. Much to personal choice though I am 100% sure no one will win a race by changing tyres.
    I won a race after switching to Ultremos.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019

I used to ride any old tyres and I would always finish last in every cat 4 race, then I switched to GP4000s and instantly started winning pro-tour races.

:twisted:
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Something crucial is a decent warm-up. See if you can get to ride the course/circuit a couple of times prior to the start just to familiarise yourself with the surface, corners, wind direction etc... But give your self plenty of time to sign-on, get your number, and warm-up. If you have a set of rollers or an ergo all the better, if not try to get a good 15 minutes of road work in. Use the static trainer to warm-up for about the same, no need to go mad, you're not riding a Pro Tour event, but a steady 15mins should do. Try to get to the front of the line-up at the start line, and (I know this can be difficult starting out) don't get too nervous. The more stressed you get the worse your bike-handling becomes, and you certainly don't want to lay it down and take a dozen or more with you! Stay nicely tucked in the first quarter of the field, and try and see who is riding strongly and who isn't. Obviously you don't want to pick the wheel of someone who is leaving gaps every lap; it makes for a harder ride and more effort on your behalf. Golden rule: if you are going to move out of line at any stage: LOOK BEHIND FIRST!

Tyres... Ask around a bit... I'm pretty traditional with my tyre choice - tubulars, not pumped too hard for crits, but there are some very good clinchers out there. The Raleigh squad have been using Schwalbe tyres and have only good things to say about them. I was sponsored for a while by Continental, so I can give my approval on those. For some strange reason I could never get on with Michelin... just ask around.

Other than the above my advice is be as relaxed as you can be, enjoy yourself, and send me 10% commission on all prize-money won!