Did my first 50 miler today

Defyand
Defyand Posts: 49
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all. Had my new road bike for a month or so now and this morning took off on my first 50 miler, a route that took me from Swindon out via Aldbourne onto Hungerford and beyond, then a return using the same route (dull I know but didn't look at a map beforehand to find a circular route) it took just under three hours (chuffed with that). Couldn't believe how hungry I was afterwards! Anyway I enjoyed the pain (on the way out I'm sure that it was uphill all the way but that couldnt be as it sure wasn't downhill on the way home!). Now to train for the Wiltshire 100 in September! :D

Comments

• Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    I did that route in reverse on Wed - Watchfield/Wantage/Hungerford newtown/Aldbourne/Shrivenham and then home. You should push north of the M4, there's some lovely countryside that way. Anyway, congrats. One month in and a fifty under your belt. Good going!
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    Good going its a biggie:) I did my first 50 miler two weeks ago but on an MTB with knobbly tires in around 3:57 with a few hills and headwind thrown in for good measure. For me around the 40 mile mark, I hit the wall and just had no energy to continue so Struggled home for the last 10. However, it felt great the next day. Haven't managed to do it again, but aim to do the same ride this weekend and see if I can better my time.

Did you eat anything on the way? Curious as to how many rest stops you had for my own learning purposes.
  • Defyand
    Thanks .I ate a couple of energy bars but didn't stop (other than traffic lights). I think that a couple of bananas would be better. 50 miles on an MTB is no mean feat, not sure that I'd fancy it!
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Hey. Well done. I did the same on Saturday but picked the wrong route as it included major hills out and back and struggling back through headwind (Worcester to Tenbury Wells on the B4204 and then across country to pick up the A44, through Bromyard and back home). The time was appalling due to the climbs and headwind, but job done. Won't tackle that b**tard route in the very near future. Next goal a more sensible 50 to break the 3 hours. By the way I'm not finding the energy gels do owt. Sticking to Soreen and caffeine drink.

ukmkh - 50 on mountain bike, good going. I got as far as thirty and decided it was time to change to road.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    A mate has lent me a road bike for a few weeks. Gonna see how that goes. Got some NUUN today and next time will also take 2 bananas. Thanks for the replies folks. I love this forum
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    did my first deliberate 50 miles today . . . with 3800 feet of climbing thrown in .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    When you say 'first deliberate', do you mean that you have done it accidentally before?
  • Defyand wrote:
    Hello all. Had my new road bike for a month or so now and this morning took off on my first 50 miler, a route that took me from Swindon out via Aldbourne onto Hungerford and beyond, then a return using the same route (dull I know but didn't look at a map beforehand to find a circular route) it took just under three hours (chuffed with that). Couldn't believe how hungry I was afterwards! Anyway I enjoyed the pain (on the way out I'm sure that it was uphill all the way but that couldnt be as it sure wasn't downhill on the way home!). Now to train for the Wiltshire 100 in September! :D

Well done Defyand! I'm sure you'll knock out the 100 miler come September! It's nice to read about people's accomplishments as they build up- I've been adding a couple miles each ride and am just shy of 25, hope to get to 40 and 50 soon! In Florida and have to have plenty of fluids along with the bananas as it gets a bit hot and humid..!
    Schwinn 700c Varsity Road
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    apreading wrote:
    When you say 'first deliberate', do you mean that you have done it accidentally before?

i mean i set an exact 50 mile loop, ive done more than 50 plenty of times but it usually involves a few stops to look at the veiw .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Defyand
    It's good here! Liking the comments, someone just pm'd me with some route advice which is gratefully received - keep it up guys!