Respect

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm a country boy up (down?) in the Big Smoke (Birdcage Walk) and just wanted to show my respect to those of you who commute by bike up here. I can't imagine a more different commute to mine! Also helps me understand the paradigm a lot of you have of "commuting" which, obviously, couldn't be more different than mine.

RESPECT!
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Go for a walk along Embankment and admire SCR in action.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited May 2012
    I am just over looking Birdcage walk as I type, the band is marching up and down!

Its a (urban) Jungle out there.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Right back at you! I find riding around London where the traffic is slower and there are more cyclists far more relaxing than being on open roads in places like the Peak district.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I'm desperate to get out of london and wish my commute was in the country.

Its not the traffic i mind. Its the nodderpocalypse.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I must admit whilst I don't often ride into central London it doesn't bother me in the slightest. A country commute with cars passing at 60mph would probably scare me more. As for the MRS commute with big hills, wind and a ridiculous bridge. Sod that for a game of soldiers, and that's before you factor in the cold for being within the Arctic Circle.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Its horses for courses... I don't find my 12 mile commute difficult, yes there's some traffic but its manageable on the whole. Its nice to know if there's a problem you'd have access to people/support/etc. I'd rate MRS' commute as much more admirable, not least because you're on your own in the middle of nowhere for much of it (and the climb!). Thats fine on a Sunday club ride with a few others... but its when it all goes pear shaped I'd be concerned about. So kudos to you...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Has this thread turned into a circle jerk?

I'm with Veronese68 and OptimisticBiker though. I guess that means we are city boys rather than country bumpkins.
    I've said before, I don't feel safe breathing air I can't see!

My cousin from Yorkshire came to London last weekend and was amazed at how few stars we could see. She said it felt like the beginning of the apocolypse.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    have to admit my commute is very easy, short and pretty.

Bushy Park with some quiet back roads, get to see loads of deer, foxes etc.

can't say I mind central london traffic (on a bike) or the area around my folks place in the country, though I normally take the MTB there.
  • iPete
    Not sure I could mentally cope with nothing but open road and my own mind for 22miles. I'd save 20 minutes each way but hell, riding into town is like mountain biking with metal trees that move and bears listening to iPods that jump into the trail at random. Keeps the mind occupied, that or I need to stop sprinkling acid on my weetabix.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    iPete wrote:
    Not sure I could mentally cope with nothing but open road and my own mind for 22miles.

It's very good for you.

I miss my commute being a kind of mental limbo from home to work. Was a good way to gently slide into the work/home mental state (depending on which way you were going!)

I don't really get that calm sensation in London till I get under the shower.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm a city boy living deep in the countryside and riding in both I know which one I prefer that's for sure, in case there's any doubt it aint London.

If my only commuter cycling was in London i'd have stopped by now, in fact I pretty much have save the odd couple of trips to the 'Peth.

Sooooooo how many other peeps on here work in and around bird cage walk?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    Typical, I post about how much I enjoy my ride and some knuckle dragger nearly intentionally takes me out.

Heading through an estate with speeds bumps and travelling at the same speed as the car in front I moved into primary, knuckle dragger behind objected, pulled up on the other side of the road and squeezed me out. Without even thinking I unclipped and punted the side of his car as hard as I could. Turns out the red mist can get to the most Zen riders!! Took the sensible option and stayed behind, blew him a kiss and shouted through the driver window if he f**king liked his wing mirrors before dropping back, not worth trying to pick a fight with a tonne of metal.

Countryside commute anyone?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I walked along the Embankment - holy cow - it looks like fun. But I do have a better appreciation for the SS and all that malarky - which would be a complete nonsense on my ride.

And then, this evening, I sampled the joys of Windsor Great Park - I even got told off for riding down the Great Walk or whatever it's called :oops: I played the "Black Isle" card with the old ladies (that one of you thoughtless people had previously hit :wink: ) and all was ok.

I am looking forward to getting back up north though - clean air and clear roads
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    Road rage aside, this is tonight's Embankment run, mucho fun and absolutely flying :D

boy-racing.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    I walked along the Embankment - holy cow - it looks like fun. But I do have a better appreciation for the SS and all that malarky - which would be a complete nonsense on my ride.

And then, this evening, I sampled the joys of Windsor Great Park - I even got told off for riding down the Great Walk or whatever it's called :oops: I played the "Black Isle" card with the old ladies (that one of you thoughtless people had previously hit :wink: ) and all was ok.

I am looking forward to getting back up north though - clean air and clear roads

Either way, you're probably faster over a 10 minute effort.

Riding in London is just very short interval training.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    Road rage aside, this is tonight's Embankment run, mucho fun and absolutely flying :D

boy-racing.jpg
    Huh, you hit about 37mph down Embankment?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin wrote:

Sooooooo how many other peeps on here work in and around bird cage walk?

im near there :wink:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • iPete
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

boy-racing.jpg

hmmm, wouldn't trust that spike, speedo said 30-32!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    iPete wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

boy-racing.jpg

Following in his wake, I was doing 30 and watching him slowing pull away. 37 sounds a might high though!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i do enjoy city commuting, but countryside riding has its dangers too, like NSL roads with trucks flying past at 57mph - trucks push a whole lotta air as they pass you

at least in citys cars are travelling a wee bit slower
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    iPete wrote:

boy-racing.jpg

and there is the entire difference between City and Country commuting:

endo_track-1.jpg

The 3 dips are junctions where I turn right or a crossroads...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It wont be as much fun when the Olympics gets into full swing.

I am already seeing the diversions causing problems and it is going to descend into chaos.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

boy-racing.jpg

Following in his wake, I was doing 30 and watching him slowing pull away. 37 sounds a might high though!

Apparently I hit 43 on the Embankment last night. Not convinced! Conditions were faaaast though!

http://app.strava.com/rides/9649360#172050143
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I would not give up my commute for any inner city lunacy...

http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE?hd=1

You simply don't get mornings like this when you cycle around London....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I would not give up my commute for any inner city lunacy...

http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE?hd=1

You simply don't get mornings like this when you cycle around London....

inner london, maybe but outer london has rivers and canals, and big royal parks.