Taper BB becoming obsolete

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Are square taper BB's becoming obsolete? I have three bikes all of them with taper BB's and wondering if it's worth picking up a couple of spares.

On the Giant, it's a triple, Campagnolo. Guess it would be English thread? So could I blind buy this model without checking what exact model spec?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... AMPBTBR675
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I wouldn't worry about it. Spare parts for Cotter Pin style BB's are still readily available. In fact, there are plenty of old school Roadies out there, riding 40+ year old bikes and they still haven't made the move to square taper bottom brackets.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Spare parts for Cotter Pin style BB's are still readily available. In fact, there are plenty of old school Roadies out there, riding 40+ year old bikes and they still haven't made the move to square taper bottom brackets.

And you can still buy brand new bikes with rod brakes. The cycling industry can't be all bad!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    Are they?
    My bike has had the same bearings for the past 30 years, had I been on Hollowtech I would have gone through a dozen BBs at least
    left the forum March 2023
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Really don't like design of new external bearings, ok for summer bike but for weather weather? Even if you get sealed bearings, still not as as good as ones inside BB shell.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)