What do I do with this?!

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I have recently acquired a Motobecane Sprint. It has Nervar cranks with a mix of Hublet and Simplex gears. I would like to renovate it and have a couple of questions, namely:

1. How do I remove the cranks and BB on it?
2. How do I clean up the rust on the chromed sections such as the handlebars?
3. Is it wise to attempt to dismantle the rear dérailleur to clean it or is this a job for an expert?

Below are a couple of photos:

7292758692_5c07ee2b5e.jpg

7292759602_af064d36c9.jpg

7292757850_7ca246ea4d.jpg

7292760196_fe9a8654c9.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• richiebones
    richiebones Posts: 379
    I use a ball of kitchen foil to clean up rusty chrome........sounds weird......but works.
  • dseddon1
    dseddon1 Posts: 122
    Great piece here about restoring chrome. Coca Cola is the key! It works! http://www.lfgss.com/thread4900.html
    #allaboutthebike
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    pottssteve wrote:
    1. How do I remove the cranks and BB on it?
    2. How do I clean up the rust on the chromed sections such as the handlebars?
    3. Is it wise to attempt to dismantle the rear dérailleur to clean it or is this a job for an expert?
    • 1. Jam a coin in that slot in the cap and unscrew it using a gripper wrench or pair of pliers. Make sure it's a big enough coin, looks like the last guy to try it wasn't so careful. Then use a socket to undo whatever you find under it, and a taper crank extractor to pull the cranks off. You might want to take the BB to the shop - old ones can be a pain!
    • 2. Wire wool, but be gentle!
    • 3. Not if you're not used to dismantling mechs, go for it if you are. Dismantle, clean in white spirit, reassemble and lubricate as you go.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Begorrah! That thing is huge... are you 6' 8" tall or something??? Mind you, the saddle looks like it is welded to the seat tube lug. Who rides these things, even in Holland? :lol:

Have a go. Even if you mess up, replacement vintage bits are still available for it anyway. Good practice!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS