brake pad and rotor question

cameronb
cameronb Posts: 102
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
my back disc brake has all of a sudden gone soft and doesnt stop me after ive cleaned my bike, the front one is fine, and i think somethings got on the pads and rotor. Will chain and gear degreaser work on the pads and rotor or not? Ive read to sand them but ive tried this and doesnt seem to have worked?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2012
    Clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol and get new pads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cameronb
    ive got the alcohol today in a 1l spray bottle, will it be ok to take the rotors off the rims and just spray them?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The rotors are not attached to the rims!

You can clean them on the bike or on the wheel or off if you want. But clean them again after refitting as the grease from your fingers can cause issues.

But I am interested by what you mean by soft. The lever? Then is sounds like a bleed is needed. As some air has got in some how to give a soft lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Best way I've found is to spray the alcohol onto a cloth, and use that to clean the rotors. There's no need to take them off the wheels.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, but while you're at it you may as well spring clean then with them off.shiny shiny.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What McGee says - easier and you don't have to faff with them when you're finished - they should only need a wipe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cameronb
    thanks for all your help, im still pretty new to have a decent bike you look after rather then just a sh!tter you leave in the back garden. and when i say soft i mean the same braking pressure doesnt bite at all its asthough the pads are just rubbing and not gripping the rotor. but ive got new pads and soem of this stuff to clean them so ill start again :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cameronb wrote:
    thanks for all your help, im still pretty new to have a decent bike you look after rather then just a sh!tter you leave in the back garden. and when i say soft i mean the same braking pressure doesnt bite at all its asthough the pads are just rubbing and not gripping the rotor. but ive got new pads and soem of this stuff to clean them so ill start again :)
    Ok then hat is defiantly contamination.

Just checking you dd not mean soft as in feel of the lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown