Look Keo Blade v Keo 2 Max

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Any opinions on the Keo 2 Max (or Max Carbon) and the Keo Blade pedals.

I'm going to replace my Keo Carbons and not sure which to go for. Thanks.

Comments

• andy_nD
    andy_nD Posts: 40
    I just bought Keo Blades to replace Keo 2 Maxes on the good bike. The blades are lighter and have a broader platform, but I can't say I notice this particularly in action. Both pedals are a massive improvement on my Keo Classics (you do notice the wider platform, and the pedals hang better which makes them easier to get into).

What you do notice is that the engagement is much more positive on the blades - you're either in or out as there's no middle ground while you're waiting for the spring to tension. I can't say I prefer one over the other - they're just different.

I've put about 500km on the blades now and they've started creaking like crazy. The maxes did this when I first got them. It's annoying but it didn't last.

You can find the blades on CRC and Merlin for 95/99 quid. I'd say the ~£25 premium over the Keo 2 Max was justified by my curiosity, but I wouldn't say there's £25 worth of improvements there in terms of performance.
  • proto
    My left Keo Carbon is squeaking like mad, doing my head in. It's the pedal face where the cleat sits on, it's no longer flat and I think I must rotate my left foot slightly when pedalling, which has resulted in the pedal surface getting chewed up. Right one is perfectly flat (and squeak free)
  • Pretty much as andy_nD say's, although I do notice the wider platform on the Blades and I prefer it. Have Keo 2 carbon and blades on different bikes, and prefer the blades for the more solid feel of the platform. And they don't seem to squeak, unlike the carbons :)
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • proto
    Arghh!!!!!!!!!!!! Just orderd Keo 2 Max Carbon and then StrangelyBrown tells me Blades don't squeak. I'll see if Merlin can swap them. Grrrrrrrr.

But thanks :)