What would you do if...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
So there I was commuting home last night in sort of pootle mode, (mainly due to a low pressure rear tyre which had acquired two big gashes in the carcase - time to change it but thats another story) when I pull up at some lights (by Asda in Colindale) and I hear someone behind me say "Is that the one?" Look round and there are two guys on newish looking (well clean anyway) mountain bikes, one a full suss. So one of them says to me 'Is that a hybrid?', "Yes", says I, "it's an old one but does for the commute". You could see he looked disappointed, then he spies my Garmin 800. "Nice Garmn", he says. Lights change and off I go, very concious of these two now tailing me. Something doesn't feel right, so I decide to up the pace despite the tyre issue and wind it up to warp speed, well 18-ish up the hill and 25-ish down the other side, and despite their best efforts eventually dropped them.

Was I being paranoid?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• Loads of people are saying you're paranoid.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    There were more than two of us following you, and it didn't matter that you dropped us because we know where you live.
  • optimisticbiker
    Loads of people are saying you're paranoid.
    Yes I have this odd feeling.... :lol:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've been in a similar situation, I felt VERY uneasy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fortunate that we are likely to be able to outride most thieving scrotes. I think you were right to be concerned; anyone who doesn't appear to understand the bike but does know what a Garmin is is worthy of suspicion..... Personally, I wouldn't use an 800 on the commute - they are too big, obvious and recogniseable. It's one reason why I like Brytons as the units are a bit less flashy looking than Garmins but any smaller unit is far less obvious on the stem.

And of course, this is also another reason why you should always commute on a proper road bike! A quick getaway is a useful option!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    And of course, this is also another reason why you should always commute on a proper road bike! A quick getaway is a useful option!
    I have mused a few times that I am effective sitting on £1600 on clear display sitting at traffic lights, one decent push they could ride of in to the sunset, luckily I have never heard or read of it happening. Guess the low life do not have clue how much some bikes cost.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    If you feel uncomfortable then wave them by.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Had that happened to me I would have happily carried on the conversation in blissful ignorance until they either mugged me or we happily went our seperate ways.
    I'm too trusting though. My wife would probably say I'm an idiot.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My wife would probably say I'm an idiot.
    She does say that, quite often. I like your landing carpet though. :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CiB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My wife would probably say I'm an idiot.
    She does say that, quite often. I like her landing strip though. :)

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That's one danger of the upcoming Olympics, the scrotes will start to recognise expensive road bikes and not just downhill mtbs.....(only half kidding)

I reckon two thirds of downhill mtbs are ridden by tracksuits in city centres.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • optimisticbiker
    SimonAH wrote:
    That's one danger of the upcoming Olympics, the scrotes will start to recognise expensive road bikes and not just downhill mtbs.....(only half kidding)

I reckon two thirds of downhill mtbs are ridden by tracksuits in city centres.
    Popped into Evans in Hendon today to get some new tubes. It was heaving. At least half a dozen people were test riding mtbs (not one on a road bike) and one was just about to leave as I walked in (a little hot n sweaty and covered in flies... well I had just ridden 40miles). So the girl just leaving, as I stood aside to let her pass, said something about being hot out there for a ride. Yes, I said, esp a fast 40miler. Oh she said, obviously impressed*, I'm just trying this for my commute. Why a knobbly tyred, heavy framed, MTB for a commute??? I thought twice, then decided I wasn't going to get into a discussion on it...

*this may of course been my imagination
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had that happened to me I would have happily carried on the conversation in blissful ignorance until they either mugged me or we happily went our seperate ways.
    I'm too trusting though. My wife would probably say I'm an idiot.

I'm similiar, would probably have given them a demo of the Garmin, and told them they are great for off road also.
    In fact it's a good job I don't have a Garmin, or I'd be dead in a ditch...
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    You did the right thing. If it doesn't feel right then it's not right. Sometimes that uneasy feeling comes from triggers you didn't even know you saw. Saved yourself a Garmin I reckon.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • EKE_38BPM
    You did the right thing. If it doesn't feel right then it's not right. Sometimes that uneasy feeling comes from triggers you didn't even know you saw. Saved yourself a Garmin I reckon.

+1. Spidey senses, innit.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    +1. Spidey senses, innit.

What - those things you have all the time irrespective of whether there is actually any danger about? :lol:
    (the medical term is paranoia!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Your brain picks up little signs that we don't consciously register. If it's bad and you start feeling like you need to GTFU outa there, you probably should.

Absolutely correct - if it feels wrong, it probably is.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Your brain picks up little signs that we don't consciously register. If it's bad and you start feeling like you need to GTFU outa there, you probably should.

Absolutely correct - if it feels wrong, it probably is.
    And even if it isn't, at least you can chill at home with a beer and think what a near miss you had, rather than sulking in a hospital's A&E dept about the loss of a Garmin.

A little paranoia is probably a good thing.

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    you did the right thing, I've had a similar in that 2 lads came closer as I was pootling waiting for a lights change and said very similar with more of a nice bike mate (it isn't really) and askes was it expensive so I said no just fast as the lights changed and i sonic boomed outta there. Well done on letting the animal side win that one.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • optimisticbiker
    Think I'll stay just being a little paranoid... :)
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I would have assumed they were going to rob me, but then I'm very very jumpy!
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    one decent push they could ride of in to the sunsett

I was thinking about this the other day whilst being followed by a few scrotey looking lads in a fiat panda whilst out on my Giant...
    If you were to be pushed over at lights, do you think instinct would unclip both feet (or one) to protect yourself, or stay clipped in to prevent loss of bicycle?
    I can only imagine they'd be foiled if my feet were attached to the bike... plus my cleat tension is reallllly high :D
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i once got chased through Liverpool whilst i was on my Kona Stinky kona20stinky20071.jpg

i remember stopping at a set of lights an hearing "yeah sick bike get it" so i jumped on the pedals an went for gold luckily i got away

quite surprised they didn't catch me aswell, DH bikes dont tend to go very fast
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    After a targeted raid on my shed, nicking my prized racing bike....I am very conscious of being followed by big vans, in fact, If I see a dodgy looking vehicle or I think I am being followed I loop around the block and few a couple of alleys to lose them.

paranoid I know, but my bike was nicked on the morning of the birth of my daughter, so, it was pretty stressful!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    All of us on the secret thread have agreed that you aren't paranoid at all ;-)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I agree. You did the right thing. If it doesn't feel right, it probably ain't. I wouldn't have cared for the sounds of that conversation or the circumstances.