Spokes Keep Breaking

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Went to Llandegla last Saturday, Broke a spoke then. Got it fixed the same afternoon. All has been fine until today when after my ride another spoke snapped. As i was putting it on the car, I heard a ping. Realised what it was and it was the spoke snapping. It snapped about 2/3 into the spoke, near the hub.

All has been fine until today.

I have read that it could be TOO much tension i.e overtightened.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The spokes are fatigued. They will all need replacing, and the wheel rebuilding. Make sure the builder stress relieves them.
  • Thanks Supersonic.

Do you reckon I should get the wheel rebuilt or just get a new rear wheel? The wheel is a WTB Laserdisc Trail rim.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    THe wheel is not going to suddendenly die, just replace the spokes as and when they break.

Spokes and a wheel build will be in the region of 40-50 pounds depending on where done and the quality of the spokes.

New MTB wheel sets go from about £50 upwards.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    THe wheel is not going to suddendenly die, just replace the spokes as and when they break.

Spokes and a wheel build will be in the region of 40-50 pounds depending on where done and the quality of the spokes.

New MTB wheel sets go from about £50 upwards.

Disagree with this: either get the whole wheel rebuilt or get a new one. Once one goes, the rest will not be far behind. Each one that goes will cost you £8-£10 for a new spoke and re-true, and by the time you've had 3-4 of them replaced you might as well have got it all redone. Not to mention not being able to rely on the wheel. Ask the LBS whether they recommend re-using hub/rim...although if you're not that fussed about what make it is, I'd just do an internet search and see what's cheap this week.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Thanks Supersonic.

Do you reckon I should get the wheel rebuilt or just get a new rear wheel? The wheel is a WTB Laserdisc Trail rim.

Worth saving if its dent-free IMHO.

What hub does the wheel have?
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433

The issue is, a wheel is only as strong as it's weakest spoke.

All spokes stretch, but unevenly. One will go, then you'll replace with a new, unstretched spoke.

This increases the pressure on the rest of the older spokes, meaning another one will go.... and another... and another... and you'll keep replacing them and putting more pressure on the already stretched spokes.

It's honestly a lot better to just respoke the wheel.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not in all cases.

The 2 broken spokes could have been from external factors that led them to fail.

If you replace a spoke you do it to a tension it to make the wheel round, makes no difference if the spoke it streched or not.

Depends if you know how to build wheels I suppose.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Spokes stretch elastically, they don't remain that way, so if is done up the same as the others ie even tension no harm will come of it. It doesn't put extra tension on the other spokes.

While it could be two rogue spokes, the usual reason is fatigue from the wheel builder not stress relieving the spokes. This means that usually all will be weakened, and riding them causes them to fail.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My general rule is three spokes have gone then the wheel probably needs rebuilding.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    I just remember once on my BMX 1 spoke went... and I replaced it...

Then another...replaced...

Then another...

By the 4th I had ran out of replacement spokes.

By the time I got it respoked - 8 had snapped. :lol:

All within about two weeks maybe.