Fast commuter / flat-bar road bike...

eshroom
eshroom Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I've read heaps of posts to get ideas, but can't find a definitive answer, so thought I'd make a post myself. Hope I don't annoy anyone by starting a thread so similar to so many others!

Requirements:

Fast flat-bar road bike (hybrid?) that's good for weaving between traffic (narrow handle bars?).

Went to LBS and found this Ridgeback Flight 02, though unsure if it's worth the extra over the Flight 01?

I do like the bike but I have two concerns that I would like ideas on.

First, I may like to take it on a bit of a tour - 300-400 miles (but this would only be once a year, so not a priority but I would like it to be doable).

Second, this will mostly be used on the road but is it going to give me the speed for the money? A racer isn't so great for weaving in-between traffic, but perhaps a flat-bar that is more set-up like a road bike (thinner tyres etc.) would be?

Finally, if you have any alternatives that you think would better fit what I am looking for or simply a better alternative to the Ridgeback Flight 02, please do reply.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They seem pretty expensive for what you are getting - just expect abetter level of kit at both prices, and with no specified weight, I wouldn't trust them. For £750 I'd take a look at this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... PDPz1#tab2

Some nice parts, and low all in weight.
  • eshroom
    Thanks Supersonic.

Weight is 24.1 lbs... At Whinstanelyes they have the Flight 02 for £599 - assumed that would make it a better deal that the Boardman?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you want fast then the best I found were Boardman Hybrid, Whyte Portobello and Giant Rapid. If you want more comfy and upright but less racy then Spesh Sirrus.

All four of those rode quite differently though - so definately try before you buy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    eshroom wrote:
    Thanks Supersonic.

Weight is 24.1 lbs... At Whinstanelyes they have the Flight 02 for £599 - assumed that would make it a better deal that the Boardman?

£600 makes it more tempting - but the boardman at 21.6lbs is still a lot lighter.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    And if you can wait, Halfords have 10% off boardmans almost every other week, plus there is always a NUS code for 10% off when reserving online too. This would bring the boardman down to around £600.
  • eshroom
    Well, I've ordered in a Whyte Cambridge @ £719 and a Felt F85 @ 639.99

Any thoughts anyone? I do like the look of the Whyte, but the Felt is mega good value... I think they're both good value at those prices. Perhaps someone can suggest a better road bike up to the £750 value of my CycleScheme voucher...

The Felt would be fitted with bullhorns straight away to make it more city friendly.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I've not heard much about the microshift gears (on the Felt). That's not to say they're bad but I'd do a bit of research, seek out some opinions from people who've used them etc.

The Fuji Newest 1.0 has tried and tested Shimano Tiagra, a pretty decent groupset on a £700 bike (and a carbon fork too).

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec031218

It has a triple chainset too. If you loaded the bike up for your tour and hit some hilly areas the "granny ring" would come in handy.

I have bullhorns on my hybrid. I much prefer them to flat bars but would give the drops a go before changing (I'm not even sure road brifters can easily be fitted to bullhorns?). On the tops/hoods of drop bars you can still be pretty upright and fully in control of the bike.
  • eshroom
    Just came across the Felt Z85 @ 719.50 with Shimano 105 shifters... Definitely looks worth the extra £80 over the F85, no?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Yeah 105 is the next level up from Tiagra, very solid group. The FSA chainset stops to from being "full" 105 but even so that's a lot of bike for that price (and nothing wrong with the FSA stuff anyway).

No bosses for guards/rack though.