The £500-600 suspects. Which has the best frame?

R-Point
R-Point Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
So after a few years away, mostly road cycling, I am back in sunny Wales and want to get myself a MTB once again. I do all types of riding, I like something that is light and fast for long distance XC, but it needs to be able to take a pounding on some hard trails and not fall apart too.

I'm not made of money unfortunately, so I'm looking at the following, the well established best buys of the budget.

Voodoo Hoodoo £450
Boardman Comp £650
Rockrider 8.1 £500
Vitus Zircon 2 £605

I would be looking at making upgrades over time, so what I'm wondering is which is the best frame of the bunch, and therefore the best longterm value? I can see the RR has the best specs, but the frame and rims look pretty weedy, and it doesn't help that it appeared to hit every branch of the ugly tree on it's way down. The Hoodoo is the cheapest, with some slightly worse specs, but the frame looks decent and lightweight so may be the best buy in the long run. I think I'm leaning towards the Zircon at the moment, but CRC only have the one frame size listed for some reason.

Thanks,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are no bad frames any more - all are fairly lightweight. That said there are differences - the Boardman gets a pretty light (3.6lbs ish) triple butted frame. The RR 8.1 is a bit heavier at about 4.1lbs, while the Voodoo gets a plain gauge and probably somewhat heavier. The Vitus I do not know much about, but the triple butted frame promises to be light.

All are great value at their repsective prices.