Plymouth voted "Most cycle friendly town in Britain"

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/plymouth-named-most-bike-friendly

Admittedly only ever been there a few times years ago when a bootneck, but does any one with a better knowledge agree.

Personally I would have gone with York or Bristol or even Cambridge , but as its by an insurance company and includes the number of bike thefts and accidents, maybe thats done for Bristol and Cambridge.

So using their criteria and the fact I lived there for 4 years IMO its gotta be York.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    cyclingplus voted Bristol the best this year...always seems to get a mention
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Most of the cycling press, are Bristol based along with the likes of CTC . I think one is the product of the other though, having spent a bit of time in Bristol in MTB ing days , the likes of Mud Dock were one of the first to catch on to the wholistic culture of cycling, cafe culture and the like.

Bristol would have got my vote if it were not for the high number bike thefts to fund all the smackheads.
    Both the rode and MTB routes around there are spot on,
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Plymouth?? I go there quite a lot, admittedly not on a bike, and it's never struck me as cycle friendly (Exeter seems better). Bristol seems far better but I'd have thought somewhere like Cambridge would be the best.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Plymouth ?!? More slappers per square paving slab than any other city in the UK. Fine for cycling as long as you can steer around them and stop the strings of false pearls getting in your sprockets.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    I live in Plymouth...

It's a pretty good place to cycle but that's more by luck/geography than anything the local authorities have done to help.

The report mentions that the result is largely based around theft/accident figures. The local motoring populace seem fairly benign & non-antagonistic to cyclists & Plymouth is a small(ish) compact city with the moors on the doorstep, so I think that is why it rates well.

The number of commuter cyclists seems to have increased dramatically here over the last year or two as well.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    turnerjohn wrote:
    cyclingplus voted Bristol the best this year...always seems to get a mention

you are joking right? why????
  • big bag
    big bag Posts: 2
    Having lived and cycled in Plymouth on and off for over 20 years I fail to understand why it is labelled most friendly. I've experience of Bristol, Leeds, Portsmouth, Swindon and Lancaster all of which are just as bad but don't have the hills, awful traffic schemes and clueless drivers to cope with. Add to that, the average Janner's inability to operate an indicator switch and their love of using mobiles whilst eating pasties, makes a Plymouth cycle ride an adventure every time. Can't wait for my trip to work in the morning!
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    The main cycling attraction of Plymouth is its proximity to Dartmoor....