To join a club or not?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I went out on my first group spin I tried out a club, I really liked it, however Im not sure if I am going to be able to use it that much a I tend to be working on Saturdays or down the country on some Sundays, I wanted to join for the club races as I can only seem to find duathlions and no dedicated races to cycling, I should mention im from Ireland. It will cost me a good bit to join with the membership and insurance, my question is how important is a club? I do a lot of solo rises and I have some friends that are keen on cycling, How many of you guys are in clubs?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Have a good search in the road beginners section.

There are a lot of threads asking the same question.
  • Cheers did not know where to even post it :)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am in a club but find myself going on club runs less and less.

Most of my runs are solo loops after work or with mates organised on F/Book.

That said, BC or CTC membership is worthwhile for the insurance should the worst happen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As per previous posts on this matter, we all know my feelings on clubs so we don't need to enter into that discussion again here, however you need to be in one to race and that is the only reason I am. Its a shyyyt club as well, but they both are around here, so its the devil or the deep blue sea really.

If you don't really need to then don't - you can always tag along on to one their rides if you want.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As others have said their are plus and minus points to joining a club. if your looking at racing though it might be the cheapest way do it.

Does you club ride out on Saturday when your at work? I thought mine did too but after chatting a few other members we now also ride on a Sunday and a few also get out after work in the week and there are lots of little groups not organised by the club but a few people are members and a few are not.

Are there no other clubs local to you?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • There are loads local to me but its the fact that Im probably going to waste my money with regards to group rides, I could maybe go 2 a month thats it, Im really only interested in the race element and getting catagorised.
  • Spender
    Spender Posts: 87
    If you race, or want to see the race scene prosper than join a club. It's the clubs who put the races on. It's clubs who run Go-ride sessions etc to get kids into cycling. It's clubs who should introduce new riders to other riders and help develop the local cycling scene.

If you are not interested in doing anything to help keep the sport alive with local races or helping develop youngsters and are quite happy cycling along in your own world, then don't bother with a club.

However whether you join the right club is another discussion altogether.

To paraphrase JFK "Ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club"
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Spender wrote:
    If you race, or want to see the race scene prosper than join a club. It's the clubs who put the races on. It's clubs who run Go-ride sessions etc to get kids into cycling. It's clubs who should introduce new riders to other riders and help develop the local cycling scene.

If you are not interested in doing anything to help keep the sport alive with local races or helping develop youngsters and are quite happy cycling along in your own world, then don't bother with a club.

To paraphrase JFK "Ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club"

+1
    Just because you join a club doesn't mean you have to go on all the club rides, I don't due to work and racing commitments, so don't think that you have to. Our club has over 150 members yet we never see more than 40 on a sunday morning.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Spender wrote:

+1

My experience of cycling clubs is very positive, but it's very limited. The worst part was having to marshall at a few road races. But if you're going to take part in races, the least you can do is volunteer to Marshall for one Sunday a year!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Group riding really brings on your cycling capabilities but wether you actually have to be in a club to ride in a group?

Being in a club is no disadvantage at all and if you have racing/time trialling aspirations it is definately advantageous. The main thing is enjoy your riding.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    We all have different reasons for being in a club:
    affiliated club so that I can race BC if I want to, though tend to stick LVRC or TLi
    club sponsor = bike shop par excellence = healthy discount
    club nights - worth going for the cakes and stories
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,633
    Yossie wrote:
    As per previous posts on this matter, we all know my feelings on clubs so we don't need to enter into that discussion again here, however you need to be in one to race and that is the only reason I am. Its a shyyyt club as well, but they both are around here, so its the devil or the deep blue sea really.

If you don't really need to then don't - you can always tag along on to one their rides if you want.

You don't need to be in a club to race (other than CTT time trials and youn usually get membership for them through a tri club) so if you dislike clubs so much and the ones near you are 'shyte' just ride as an individual (of course, if everyone else took the same attitude there'd be no races to ride though).