Advice for cycling in this heat

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I've only been cycling since January so this sudden week of sun has been somewhat of a surprise.

I already pop a High5 Zero tab in my bottle but apart from increased fluid intake what are the tips for cycling when it's scorching out there?

I went out today and noticed I was not only slower than normal but I was noticeably far more exhausted doing it. It almost feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs.

I've got a couple of potentially hot rides coming up (L2B and Vattenfall Cyclassics) and would welcome any advice.

Comments

• cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Light clothing, 500ml of fluids per hour. Sun cream. Good rules of thumb.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If anything I go quicker when it's hot (broke my 10TT PB on wednesday night) Just take on some more liquids, less clothing and a positive attitude.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    markos1963 wrote:
    If anything I go quicker when it's hot (broke my 10TT PB on wednesday night) Just take on some more liquids, less clothing and a positive attitude.
    Me too, i fly (in my own small way) when its hot.
    Just make sure you ride well within yourself TKF plus the advice above.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    It doesn't effect me much. I've just been out for 2 and half hours and only took about 400ml of water and a small box of raisins. What really effects me is flies, bees and other small critters. Really hot weather ie over 30degrees is another matter and fluids is vital as well as salts. I think shaving your arms and legs do help but is a bit extreme. Also sweat from your brows can sting your eyes so have a small cotton rag handy. I also tend to ride in a slightly baggy top rather then fairly tight top.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    A lot of it is mainly practice. You get different sensations in different temperates. After a while you get used to it. Main thing is to embrace the warmth, rather than fight it (mentally).
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    A cap
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    What really effects me is flies, bees and other small critters.

^Yep, swallowed a couple and had at least another three dozen stuck to my suncreamed arms and legs yesterday :(
    Anyone know a non-sticky suncream?

The heat itself doesn't bother me too much. Plenty of electrolytes as mentioned above. In fact I use the lap warning (5 miles) on my Garmin to remind me to have another drink...otherwise I tend to leave it too long.

It's the stinging (sweat?, pollen?, more flies?) in the eyes that bothers me most...takes hours for them to stop weeping afterwards.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    TKF wrote:
    I've only been cycling since January so this sudden week of sun has been somewhat of a surprise.

I already pop a High5 Zero tab in my bottle but apart from increased fluid intake what are the tips for cycling when it's scorching out there?

I went out today and noticed I was not only slower than normal but I was noticeably far more exhausted doing it. It almost feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs.

I've got a couple of potentially hot rides coming up (L2B and Vattenfall Cyclassics) and would welcome any advice.

Like you i'm slower in the heat, much prefer the colder weather. As an example did a 60 mile ride in march an used probably less than a quarter of a 500ml bottle of water. Did a short 30 today and used the best part of a 750 bottle - i just overheat.

I found, like you, the zero tabs are excellent - in the heat i tend to drink a few glasses of water before setting off too. I also take a sip every ten mins or so. Suncream deffo, and get a good ventilated helmet...oh and try to make your route all downhill. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • TKF
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    A cap
    Very helpful, thanks
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    TKF wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    A cap
    Very helpful, thanks

Here's one.

solar-powered%20fan%20cap.JPG
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Clothing -> from Socks to Helmet, you want light, well vented stuff. Good baselayers improve comfort, otherwise your jersey can stick.

Hydration and nutrition -> 500ml per hour is about right for me, electrolytes are useful for longer rides. Don't forget to eat, i find I'm less likely to feel the need to eat if its hot.

Other stuff? Suncream is useful If you're going on longer rides... but you need to let your tan-lines develop at the same time. Chamois cream is also useful as you're going to be sweating more and the chamois in your bibs is more likely to chafe (especially if you sweat as much as me!).

Also you should go faster in the warm, apparently ~1.5-2mph gain from winter conditions to warm summer conditions due to factors such as thinner air, better road conditions, less clothing etc.

You should be able to adjust to the warmer weather though, and you shouldn't be feeling slower for too long.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    [quote="Mike67"
    Anyone know a non-sticky suncream?
    [/quote]

This is THE STUFF!:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/creams-and-balms/product/review-reimann-p20-sunscreen-9809

Ignore the user review about no UVA filtering - the current stuff has 3* UVA filters (SPF20 UVB).

It's alcohol based - so the medium evaporates. No grease, no need to reapply, you don't sweat it off - it's perfect for cycling. They sell it at Boots.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I think the 2 main issues affecting the op are, first, last week it was 12 degrees in the day and yesterday it was hotter than that in the middle of the night. Then this is probably accentuated by being a relative noob. Drink your water ,keep going, suddenly youll realise this aint so bad....
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    May be consider taking two water bottles :?:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The problem is acclimatization, when you are used to riding in a certain temperature and it suddenly changes, your body takes a while to adapt. Probably more difficult in the UK as the weather often changes rapidly.

Start out slower than usual, get used to it, before increasing speed helps to avoid sudden overheating which is difficult to cope with. Two bottles on the bike, drink before you go out, keep stopping to pee.

When it gets to 47c, stay in the house :D

Mavic do 28c+ jerseys, so good excuse to spend
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    May be consider taking two water bottles :?:

:lol: WHY do people overcomplicate things?
  • TKF
    team47b wrote:
    Start out slower than usual, get used to it, before increasing speed helps to avoid sudden overheating which is difficult to cope with.
    That's an interesting one.

Normally it takes 5-10 miles to get into my stride but yesterday it wasn't until 20 that I found I was comfortable and in a good rhythm.

Good to hear that it's something the body does adapt to.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    For those that use the High5 Zero tabs...do they make you pee more?
    Previously used Nuun but recently got the High5 because they were in a shop rather than on the Internet and I found
    myself having to stop a lot. Usually that won't happen when I'm working hard and sweating.

Guess they're just super hydrating? Mate uses the caffeine versions and finds them ok. :?
  • TKF
    RC856 wrote:
    I can only compare them to water but I haven't noticed any change in, erm, habits.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    TKF wrote:
    RC856 wrote:
    I can only compare them to water but I haven't noticed any change in, erm, habits.
    Whats an erm habit? if you meaning the frequency of taking a piss then say so!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    RC856 wrote:
    Previously used Nuun but recently got the High5 because they were in a shop rather than on the Internet and I found
    myself having to stop a lot. Usually that won't happen when I'm working hard and sweating.

Guess they're just super hydrating? Mate uses the caffeine versions and finds them ok. :?

personally i prefer the nuun tablets, cheapest way is buy them in 8-tube boxes online

afaik caffeine raises your core temperature, which in hot weather can negate the stimulant effect

to the op, as others say, it's acclimatization, i used to spend a lot of time in tropics/jungle, the first 1-2 weeks were toughest, keeping hydrated, after a while the body seems to adapt to retain more water

i just came back from a couple of weeks cycing in the canaries, first week coolish, then the calima started and the second week was brutal, 40+ in the shade, had to refill at every cafe i passed as i was getting through over a litre an hour, plus sometimes a bottle of coke and adding a smidge of salt to it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Enjoy it. You've spent months riding in all sorts of inclement weather but I guarantee that you'll be bowling along a bit of road, the sun on your back with a slight tailwind and the wisdom of why you took up cycling will strike you like a thunderbolt.

The practicalities are protect your skin and eyes and keep hydrated.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    have ridden in the UAE, Oman and Qatar now for 3 years. I use Zero tablets (including the caffine ones) but they are not as good as Pocari Sweat, which has a noticable benefical boost to my endurance. I also freeze the water bottle (s) and use insulated ones, they stay frozen for the first 20 minutes at least
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I went out last Wednesday for a 50sih ride and struggled when the temps increased, struggled on my Thursday night ride of another 45 and then went out today for another 30 to loosen my legs and was OK ish.

Club ride tomorrow to God knows where!, so hopefully have acclimatised, but have to admit that I ride far better at 20 degrees than I did at nearly 29 (in the sun) on Wednesday.

It might just be that I've done nearly 220 this week and am just tired :roll: :mrgreen: