Giro stage 20 ‘Spoiler’

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Since I’ll be travelling and won’t see any of the Stelvio stage, I’ll at least start it off by posting this link (even if some of the ascents are from the other side and not all the finish lines are at the top of the Stelvio).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHMkWSdWMxw&feature=player_embedded

The guy who throws up his arms when Bernaudeau wins is Hinault, both in same team - but that might not mean Hinault was happy.

Weather forecast is 10-20% chance of rain in the morning, chance getting less as the day goes on, dry and clear skies by late afternoon, with temperature by then of 4 to 6 deg C at the top of the pass.

schlenker-jochen-stilfser-joch-passo-stelvio-suedtirol-italy-europe.jpg

Comments

• cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    This is going to be an epic stage! Go Ryder!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    There's a good chance the racing won't kick off until a loooong way up...

Let's hope not.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I guess it largely depends on if J-Rod wants to try put Ryder under pressure early. Or if Scarponi or Basso feel really good (doubtful but hey)

Doing some damage on the Mortirolo could make it really interesting.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Don't think we'll see any attacks from the main GC contenders on the Mortirolo, it's still aren't very big time gaps between any of them. Top 4 still under 2 minutes. Big gamble to go from that far out, it's more likely that someone else will benefit from such an attack. Think we'll see them all slug it out near the top of the Stelvio. We could still see someone have a bad day.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    In contrast to sweaty... I reckon at least one of the Top 4 will try something on the Motirolo..
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Are the Italians (Basso, Scarponi, Pozzivivo) likely to work together to break the foreigners?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Am I right with this thinking:

If the TV sprint isnt contested by J Rod or Cav then J Rod will need 14 points to overhaul Cav which essentially means that if J Rod places in the top 4 then Cav will lose the Maglia Rosso?

If that is the case despite the lumps could we see Sky trying to get Cav to the front for the intermediate sprint?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    josame wrote:
    In contrast to sweaty... I reckon at least one of the Top 4 will try something on the Motirolo..

I predict Basso.

He went in 07 (I think), but then the finish was only up to Aprica.
    exercise.png
  • iainf72
    Break gone

Christian Vande Velde (Garmin-Barracuda), Roman Kreuziger (Astana), Damiano Caruso (Liquigas), Emanuele Sella (Androni Giocattoli), Branislaw Samoilau (Movistar), Mathieu Perget (Ag2r), Oliver Zaugg (RadioShack), Stefan Denifl (Vacansoleil-DCM), Mathias Frank (BMC), Matteo Bono (Lampre), Alexander Kristoff (Katusha), Tom Slagter (Rabobank), and Matteo Rabottini (Farnese Vini),

I think I said at some point Liquigas would send Caruso up the road.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Unlikely but could be epic from kreuziger. Really chancing it here going so early, but all respect to him.

Rambo again! And let's see what slAgter has. He went yday on pamp and got caught in about 5secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    This move, for the GC guys, is all about having someone in the valley before Stelvio.

So they're expecting the Mortirolo to be tough.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Edit - should have read the whole thread! Question already answered!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    This move, for the GC guys, is all about having someone in the valley before Stelvio.

How will that help? not sure I understand the tactics...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

How will that help? not sure I understand the tactics...

If the pace is lifted on the previous climb, all your team mates could go out of the back leaving you alone. If you put someone in the break and they stay clear, you'll have someone available.

In Liquigas's case it's interesting who it is as he's been Basso's last man the last couple of climbs/
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    If the pace is lifted on the previous climb, all your team mates could go out of the back leaving you alone. If you put someone in the break and they stay clear, you'll have someone available.

Aah. So they can drop back if needed?
  • iainf72
    Yup, or just left themselves be caught while "resting" and then put in a turn.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Hoping for a great stage today. With immaculate timing Mrs S is out this afternoon. :D
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Well I've done my 100km ride and the weekly shop so I can now settle down in front of the TV, feel ever so self-righteous and watch someone else suffer
  • greasedscotsman
    iainf72 wrote:
    In Liquigas's case it's interesting who it is as he's been Basso's last man the last couple of climbs/

Or Basso isn't very confident of his abilities, break might stay away and then they have a good rider for the stage win.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Or Basso isn't very confident of his abilities, break might stay away and then they have a good rider for the stage win.

I don't think anyone would expect the break to stay away.

He had a rough patch yesterday, but like Inrng points out, Basso's performance on the Giau was "something to behold"

http://inrng.com/2012/05/giro-stage-20- ... #more-8852
  • iainf72
    edited May 2012
    Hunter, Rollin, Guardini and Velasco kicked off race for holding onto cars
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    Guardini, Hunter & 2 others DQ'd on 1st climb :shock:

Wat happens to their sprint points from earlier stages?
  • iainf72
    Alan A wrote:
    Guardini, Hunter & 2 others DQ'd on 1st climb :shock:

Wat happens to their sprint points from earlier stages?

They'd leave the race with them.
  • greasedscotsman
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't think anyone would expect the break to stay away.

He had a rough patch yesterday, but like Inrng points out, Basso's performance on the Giau was "something to behold"

http://inrng.com/2012/05/giro-stage-20- ... #more-8852

No, I'm sure it won't stay away, but then you have it covered if it does.

And yes, he was very good on the Giau, along with Rodriguez, Hesjedal, Uran, Possivivo, Scarponi, they were just as good.
  • iainf72

And yes, he was very good on the Giau, along with Rodriguez, Hesjedal, Uran, Possivivo, Scarponi, they were just as good.

Scarponi was less good, as he got dropped with Uran I think.
  • greasedscotsman
    iainf72 wrote:

Scarponi was less good, as he got dropped with Uran I think.

Sure, when Possivivo attacked. So if anything you should be saying his ride was something to behold rather than Basso.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A shame for Guardini. Hunter has had a cracking Giro too, but I guess that crash took its toll yesterday.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    On the Mortirolo now and everyone already looks stuffed.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Plantain holds Mortirolo record at 43.55. Lance says it was his hardest climb.

Cnews saying pantani went up it in a 22!!!!! Can anyone confirm this ridiculousness?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Fucking hell Eurosport. Can the interview. J Rod attacking.