I know it's been asked before, how many stem spacers ?

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just finished my Soul build (small) with a Thomson stem (70mm) and some Race Face Deus bars. At the moment I've got a complete stack of Hope spacers under the stem so it does look pretty naff :D I know it's a question of have as many as you like as long as it feels right to ride but how many should I start with ? All of them under, all above or what ? And how do I know when I'll want more or less below the stem ?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As many or as few as you want and feels right.

If it is your first build and you do not know what you want use as many as you have above and below the stem and have a play untill you find the right height.

Then I would leave one 5mm spacer above.

Note forks with carbon steelers often have max height of spacers allowed and a requirement for one spacer above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    This ^^^^^

Basically ive set my bars same as my pos that im using atm because its a comfy riding position, but until you find it use them all and experiment
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    How long is a piece of string?

As has been suggested, it's what's comfortable and practicable for you and your needs.

Also as nicklouse has suggested, with a carbon steerer allow steerer length for a spacer above the stem. It helps to ensure equal bolt loads when you have two rear fixing bolts although I'm uncertain of the clamping system of your Thomson stem.