Giro Stage 19 *spoiler*

12345679»

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    I've not read any of the posts in this thread but I thought I'd go back to the last time the Giro was in the balance until this late on, 2005.

GC before Saturday mountain stage (Fenestre)
    1 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 81.24.50
    2 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 0.58
    3 Jose' Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Colombia 1.24
    4 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 1.36

GC in Milan
    1 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 91.25.51 (37.855 km/h)
    2 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 0.28
    3 Jose' Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Colombia 0.45
    4 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 2.42

Just makes for interesting reading when the GC is currently like this
    1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 84:06:12
    2 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin – Barracuda 0:00:17
    3 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre – ISD 0:01:39
    4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:01:45
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Another fantastic stage of attritional riding between the favourites. Ryder has really surprised me as I thought he would be just hanging on and limiting his losses for the TT. Shame J Rod came through for third, fourth or above tomorrow gives him the red jersey (unless Cav gets in an early break and takes the TV sprint ;) ). Really looking forward to tomorrow now. Brief ride over the Tumble in the morning to get myself in the right frame of mind first :lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Things wot I learned today

Pozzovivo
    402815-cycling-ita-tour-win.jpg

is 5 years older than Uran

bettiniphoto_0111506_1_full_600.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Tom BB wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    J-Rod was 6th in a flat TT at Pais Vasco earlier this year: http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ra ... ceid=22002

I know my top 15 shout is a long shot, but I am his new #1 superfan after all.

Pah....superfans shouldn't have facts to back up their spurious claims afx :D Seriously though, 6th in a flat TT-I'm astonished! He must have made some big improvements this year?

J rod could do a Sastre and ride the time trial of his life, If he has anything left after the stelvio.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Just finished watching today's stage on the Sky Plus...

Wow, another fantastic stage. Everyone enjoyed that one, right?

Great ride from Kreuziger, love to see attacking riding win, although woundn't have though he would do or be able to do that after his ride on Wednesday. Was also a bit suprised with Possivivo, though after his acceleration on the final climb of the day on Wednesday he would have some sort of attack in him. Maybe tomorrow? Have to say, not really suprised with anyone else today.

Starting to worry about tomorrow. Are we going to see some crazee attacks? Maybe with the whole GC still being very close, everyone will wait for the final climb to slug it out again. Looking forward to it! Hopefully as good as the stages we've see so far!

Avoiding making any comments/predictions about Ryder, just would love to see him win! Fingers crossed again tomorrow. :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Avoiding making any comments/predictions about Ryder, just would love to see him win! Fingers crossed again tomorrow. :D

appears you were right
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    is this climb the highest of the day? as someone noted earlier Stelvio is very high - and it is still a closed road because of snow. I hope we are not going to miss that spectacle tomorrow as a result.
    As someone farther down the thread has discovered, there is no snow on the ground at the top of the Stelvio, but that is anyway not the reason why it is a closed road.
    They have official opening and closing dates of the passes, meaning when the local authorities are prepared to do snow-clearing if an out-of-season snowfall occurs. So, when a pass is still officially closed, it doesn’t always mean it’s snowed over or impassable, just no one will come along to clear the road if it does then snow or is blocked by an avalanche.
    And if you decide to drive/cycle it before official opening, and you have an accident, your insurance won’t be interested, and you may have to pay for the ambulance, if one’s necessary.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Congratulations Kreuziger. Went for it and salvaging a stage win is commendable.
    Yeh, great for Kreuziger, he gets my ‘douze points’, just pipping Hesjedal.
    I’d also give a few points to Scarponi, Pirazzi, Casar and Cataldo, even Rohregger, for the entertainment they gave me, and their efforts, even if in the end not all placed well.

After his bad day on stage 17, Kreuziger said “I’ve never had a day like that, not in the 7 years I’ve ridden the big tours”. He blamed his problems on cramp during almost the whole stage, and added,“I wouldn’t like to finish the Giro without making a mark, and so now we’ll focus on the Alpe de Pampeago and Stelvio stages”.
    So his attack today was programmed.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The Mortirolo might see some action, but on the other hand it's 60kms from the finish. So, a long Kreuziger breakaway tomorrow?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    It's going to be interesting to see what liquigas do.

So far their tactic has helped JRod and Hej as much as Basso.

I think, realistically, the mortirollo will not shake things up at the front. We won't see any significant moves. I think it's much more significant for the non-climbers.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    my hunch is Basso and Scarponi will try to break it up on Mortirolo..they have nothing to lose..
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Great champions ride for the win, preferring to finish 5th having tried for 1st then ride for 2nd riding wheels.

Hej is over 10kg heavier than jrod and beating him on the steepest stuff...

Again, annoyed for kreuziger, given he says never lost time like this before.

Hopefully today will be better than yday with more action before the final 3km...

As said above it feels to me like hej likes the high similar tempo rather than severe changes of paces. Contador and schleck would crack him and contador would beat him in the tt.

Really want it to finish: Jrod, hej, scarp.

A giro with so few attacks, only some medium time gains, just riding fast and seeing who cracks. As shown by how tight the gc is...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lol on that comparison langer!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Lol on that comparison langer!

I think it's fair to say that Uran has had a tougher life than anybody else in the pro peloton.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

I thought the important stat was power/weight ratio.

You implying Hej is cheating Rodriguez out of his win? You do know that the nickname Purito has nothing to do with being clean right?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Timoid. wrote:

You implying Hej is cheating Rodriguez out of his win? You do know that the nickname Purito has nothing to do with being clean right?

Do we still care about that? 6 years ago now.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

Do we still care about that? 6 years ago now.

eh? Purito means "little cigar". Nothing to do with Puerto.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    I'm not saying he is a doper. He wouldn't strike me as one. However it is surprising to me that he is beating the best in the world, former gt winners, superb climbers, who are on the extreme rivet (shown clearly yday). Just because he is from Canada doesn't mean he is clean.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'm not saying he is a doper. He wouldn't strike me as one. However it is surprising to me that he is beating the best in the world, former gt winners, superb climbers, who are on the extreme rivet (shown clearly yday). Just because he is from Canada doesn't mean he is clean.

I'm suspicious of his performance.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm suspicious of his performance.

Really?

I've seen nothing that makes me suspicious. I'm more suspicious that J-Rod hasn't had a howler of a day yet.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Really?

I've seen nothing that makes me suspicious. I'm more suspicious that J-Rod hasn't had a howler of a day yet.

I've just not been concious of him performing so well or so consistently before.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

He's running out of time to prove us both right Iain.

None of the favourites look any more suspicious than any other to me, they all look like they are riding absolutely on the limit which relatively little difference between them. Whether the playing field is level because they are not doping or because they are all doping I wouldn't like to say.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:
    Really?

I've just not been concious of him performing so well or so consistently before.

He's come 6'th in the Tour. Therefore he's ridden at this level before.

:)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    emadden wrote:
    some pics from today http://bit.ly/JZtCIM

Cheers.
    Contador is the Greatest