My first ever 'off'...

nweststeyn
nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Sigh...

Had an awesome ride out with my fiancé today, taking the 'Sma' Glen' road from Crieff to Dunkeld. One of the most beautiful roads, especially in the amazing sunshine we had.

After a nice lunch at the usual stop off (Taybank in Dunkeld), we headed back towards Perth and I cursed myself by thinking, 'thats over 3000km this year so far and I still haven't come off!'. Fast forward half an hour and we're riding through Luncarty and turn right. As I lean into the corner, my concentration slips for whatever reason and my front wheel hits a deep rut - which I would usually have been looking out for. I genuinely don't know what had distracted me, but I got chucked out of the rut straight at the kerb at a little over 15mph and felt myself going over. Managed to unclip leaned into the grass verge to try and ensure a soft landing. Down I go and managed to avoid getting tangled, but there was a mighty smack of a sound which was the back end of my bike hitting the edge of the road.

Could have been a lot worse, but I broke a spoke on my rear wheel and there are some pretty deep scraped in the braking surface of the rim. Managed to ride the final 10 miles home with the back brake opened up and the wheel wobbling, and it is now in for repair but I'm worried. Very worried. :(

Sigh.

Ride tomorrow called off. Ride on Sunday in serious doubt. BOOOOOOOOO.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    so what your saying is ' I was riding behind my bird ogling her ass and she turned round and collared me so to get the sympathy vote I aimed at the kerb' - we've all been there. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nweststeyn
    You got me :(
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    bike repairs cost money - body repairs loads of time - think you have been a bit lucky
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • nweststeyn
    Yes I've been very lucky! Coulda been a collarbone quite easily.

And I also get the pleasure of the extra workout provided by doing an 80km ride on my heavy mountain bike tomorrow morning!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    'tis life my owd when you ride a bike and don't pay attention. :P

Seriously though, glad you're not too hurt and your bike (hopefully) won't cost too much to repair.

What's ya bird like, anyway? :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    It's been 8 weeks since I last got my leg over (the bike, obviously!)... Broken scaphoid & surgery to screw it back together has taken its toll. My wrist feels knackered and I still haven't been given the all clear to ride, but when I do, I fear I will have lost all confidence... Coming off is the biggest downer to cycling (obvious to say, but you don't realise it until you have a nasty injury as a result)