Giro Stage 19 *spoiler*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    tiralongo in 17 mins down

welcome to the giro

indeed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'm not arsed either way mate.....if I want to avoid cycling results then Pro Race topics on here would be the last place that I visit....others get quite tetchy on this subject though
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Just watching the preview for tomorrow's stage... the penultimate climb is 12kms, narrow and very steep all the way. Seemingly as hard as today's final climb, but a bit longer.

And then the Stelvio.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Tom BB wrote:
    I'm not arsed either way mate.....if I want to avoid cycling results then Pro Race topics on here would be the last place that I visit....others get quite tetchy on this subject though

Got it...I'm a newbie.
  • Le Commentateur
    Cav's group finishing, 41 minutes down.
  • mididoctors
    Just watching the preview for tomorrow's stage... the penultimate climb is 12kms, narrow and very steep all the way. Seemingly as hard as today's final climb, but a bit longer.

And then the Stelvio.

harder[yes I have ridden it] covered with 20% ramps

no sign of cav after 34 mins 131 riders in big bus at 34min
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

is that ok?
  • Tom BB
    Over 6 and quarter hours for the stage winner.....don't know what the sums are?
  • cycling5280
    He trains in Hawaii. Some huge climbs there apparently.

Trains in Maui all of December. Has the record up Haleakal volcano which is a 10,000ft. 37 mile climb. 2 hours 32 minutes. I'm guessing that's fast but not sure how many other pro guys are contesting it. He also has a training camp for whoever wants to ride with pros and possibly Giro winners. I'm wondering if he'll raise his camp prices if he wins?
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    edited May 2012
    Tom BB wrote:
    I don't know what they set as the cut-off for this stage, but 41 minutes is just under 11% of the winner's time. I'm sure I remember several more generous cut-offs than that on big mountain stages where the leaders pushed the pace, but someone with a better memory than me could say more.

edit: apparently stage 6 was 10%, so I'd be surprised if he's not OK.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    J-Rod was 6th in a flat TT at Pais Vasco earlier this year: http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ra ... ceid=22002

I know my top 15 shout is a long shot, but I am his new #1 superfan after all.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited May 2012
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    He trains in Hawaii.

Just like Armstrong then...
  • mididoctors
    esspeebee wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    I don't know what they set as the cut-off for this stage, but 41 minutes is just under 11% of the winner's time. I'm sure I remember several more generous cut-offs than that on big mountain stages where the leaders pushed the pace, but someone with a better memory than me could say more.

edit: apparently stage 6 was 10%, so I'd be surprised if he's not OK.

good post
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    My question is, if VdV and Hejsdal are riding well in the Giro, who pray tell will be in Garmin's Tour team for GC? Danielson...?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Perhaps Talansky is their GC man for the tour?

I expect at least Millar, Zabriski, Danielson and Dan Martin to be in that roster too as support at very least. Be difficult to see them leaving Ryder and Vande Velde out of the team but surely the Giro will take it's toll. You would have thought Ryder was their man for the Tour though but why then put him in the Giro?
  • Tom BB
    edited May 2012
    afx237vi wrote:
    J-Rod was 6th in a flat TT at Pais Vasco earlier this year: http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ra ... ceid=22002

I know my top 15 shout is a long shot, but I am his new #1 superfan after all.

Pah....superfans shouldn't have facts to back up their spurious claims afx :D Seriously though, 6th in a flat TT-I'm astonished! He must have made some big improvements this year?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Merged the Ryder thread into this one.

Pointless having two threads discussing the same result.
  • rick_chasey
    My question is, if VdV and Hejsdal are riding well in the Giro, who pray tell will be in Garmin's Tour team for GC? Danielson...?

*shrugs* Winning the Giro is bigger than a top 10 in the Tour.

VdV will ride the Tour - Hej might too but probably won't be expected to do too much.

They'll go for stages will Millar, Zabriskie, Farrrrrar, etc.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, it's absolutely clear now Hej is the strongest and has been for some time.

Him and J Rod have been the only ones with the balls/legs to properly attack, and they're reaping the rewards.

All Hej needs to do now is make sure he doesn't do a Basso on the Stelvio.
  • Le Commentateur

is that ok?
    He was with about 20 others. I'd say that's OK.
  • cycling5280

They will look for Vande Velde and Danielson as GC guys. I think Dan Martin will be up there too. Then you have Talansky, Zabriskie, Millar, Farrar and a couple leadout guys for Farrar.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148

I expect at least Millar, Zabriski, Danielson and Dan Martin to be in that roster too as support at very least. Be difficult to see them leaving Ryder and Vande Velde out of the team but surely the Giro will take it's toll. You would have thought Ryder was their man for the Tour though but why then put him in the Giro?
    Dan Martin, good point. It'll be his debut tour I believe so he'll ride well in a couple stages for sure. Millar's been so quite, I wasn't sure if he was taking the Olympic news a bit hard and losing the will. Now that ex-dopers are in, he should be well motivated. He'll be the only guy on a Cervelo if he makes the team...

As for tomorrow, I'll be glued to my TV set watching the Stelvio, will get no gardening done and get yelled a for that. Being part Canadian adds to the excitement.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Tom BB
    Millar broke his collarbone though. Can't see Dan Martin doing much but I'd like to be proved wrong.
  • cycling5280

It was Jonathan Vaughter's idea and decision to have Ryder do the Giro. Vaughter's thought the Giro course suited Ryder the best. Keep in mind Ryder has never really been considered the GC man so choosing the Tour as his first grand tour leader status would be a bit much I think. I think that will change for the 2013 Tour. Vande Velde is old news although with the TT kilometers this year he could post a good result. Danielson is too much of a mental case. Martin...I don't think he as a grand tour winner in him. I see him doing well in the shorter stages race like Tour of Poland, Catalunya, Tour of California.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Him and J Rod have been the only ones with the balls/legs to properly attack, and they're reaping the rewards.
    That's a bit harsh. Scarponi is old but he definitely tried to attack today, until his brain was coming out of his nose.
    They will look for Vande Velde and Danielson as GC guys. I think Dan Martin will be up there too. Then you have Talansky, Zabriskie, Millar, Farrar and a couple leadout guys for Farrar.
    Vande Velde and Danielson are too obvious. Garmin's annual tactic is to put someone surprising in the top 10 of the GC at the tour and they've both played that role already (see also Wiggins, Hesjedal). On that basis Talansky is more likely to be their GC man, as crazy as it sounded when thamacdaddy suggested it just now.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yeah, it's absolutely clear now Hej is the strongest and has been for some time.

All Hej needs to do now is make sure he doesn't do a Basso on the Stelvio.

I think Hej managed to bluff it through once or twice earlier on.

J-Rod has attacked where it suited him. Basso's team have ridden in a way that would suit Basso, Hej has taken advantage of that because it suits him too and he's got the TT'ing ability, Scarponi has used his ability to accelerate a bit to try take some time. No one looks comfortable today when Caruso was on the front.

"Hesjedal has shown he is the strongest," Basso echoed. "When someone is the strongest, we only have to congratulate him. When I understood my limits for today, I went at my own rhythm. [Michele] Scarponi's three attacks have put me in difficulty. I haven't managed to make the difference that I wanted. As I couldn't do what I planned this morning, it shows the merit of my adversaries
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cycling5280
    That's a bit harsh. Scarponi is old but he definitely tried to attack today, until his brain was coming out of his nose.
    Vande Velde and Danielson are too obvious. Garmin's annual tactic is to put someone surprising in the top 10 of the GC at the tour and they've both played that role already (see also Wiggins, Hesjedal). On that basis Talansky is more likely to be their GC man, as crazy as it sounded when thamacdaddy suggested it just now.

Talanksy has a good shot at the white jersey and could find himself in a good GC position after all the TT kilometers.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Father Vaughters has said that Martin will target stages and probably KOM. His TT'ing - though much improved - is still too poor to take a shot at GC.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    some pics from today http://bit.ly/JZtCIM
    www.dotcycling.com