Chiltern 100

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
anyone doing this on sunday? Gonna be a scorcher...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Lots of friends doing it. I will not this year, I will instead have a wheel building stand at the HQ. come and say hello... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    I'm manning the Corto feed stop if that counts, sort of glad I missed the GF this year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mzm70 wrote:
    I'm manning the Corto feed stop if that counts, sort of glad I missed the GF this year.

That's cheating... I was hoping to see you putting 350 watts up whiteleaf
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    looking forward to it...i think
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    I'm doing the Corto route. Looking forward to it, be nice to do a ride and not have to wear multi layers of clothing
  • Corto sounds like it woiuld be a good test for me. Probably too late now, though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Corto sounds like it woiuld be a good test for me. Probably too late now, though.

Never know... Just show up and try to sign on the day... and if it is full, follow the arrows. There are cafes along the way in Thame and Long if you need food
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Me and the enemy are doing the short ride, whatever that called.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    Well that was fun. I even passed people and got up the hills without getting off my bike. A very well run event I think, I have literally just got a text with my time on it too.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    Really enjoyed the ride. a very well organised ride with a very challenging route. So glad i only done the shorter route with how hot it was today.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Excellent ride yesterday. I did the long route, which was tough in the heat, but ultimately very satisfying. Impressed by the organisation and the quality of grub at the feedstations - will be back for more next year!

Only issue (which I have fedback to the organisers) was that the second feed station was in a tricky spot next to a busy junction. It seemed to upset a lot of drivers and there was potential for accidents. That said, there may be no alternative location.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    wow that was hot! 110 miles done, but i blew up in the 2nd half...

i think i enjoyed it...
  • p9uma
    I don't know how you did that 110 miles! 60 was quite enough for me thanks.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My day out (Gran Fondo)

Late, wrong turn, 12 miles on bike.
    Got there, left.
    Hot. Worked hard.
    Finished bottles
    Stopped, filled bottles.
    Hot. Worked hard.
    CRAMP! Finished bottles.
    Stopped Filled Bottles.
    CRAMP! HOT!
    CRAMP!
    CRAMP! HOT!
    CRAMP!
    CRAMP! HOT!
    CRAMP!
    Hot. Worked hard.
    Finished bottles.
    Stopped, got one bottle half filled.
    Hot. Worked Hard.
    CRAMP!
    Finished.

Went home fell asleep on the sofa.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Got through the Gran Fondo - just. The last 10 miles was bloody horrendous with what felt like a permanent headwind. I also fell into the trap of seeing the five mile to Amersham sign and let myself believe that the organisers couldn't possibly squeeze in another climb. What a mistake that was... The evil buggers put a sting in the tail.

Really great route, but harder than I expected - possibly the heat, possibly just the way it is.

Well done to all that finished any of the three routes. Tough day.
  • p9uma
    I've just seen some of the official photos of the day, you know, the ones you can buy. I think the photographer used the makeeveryonelooklikeafatknackeredlump lens. The twat.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    p9uma wrote:
    I've just seen some of the official photos of the day, you know, the ones you can buy. I think the photographer used the makeeveryonelooklikeafatknackeredlump lens. The fool.

In the absence of magic lenses, he probably didn't have much choice
  • p9uma
    P_Tucker wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    I've just seen some of the official photos of the day, you know, the ones you can buy. I think the photographer used the makeeveryonelooklikeafatknackeredlump lens. The fool.

I agree, but why place the photographer at the end of the route just at the top of a hill when everyone is Jacobs'd? Why not have The photographer near the beginning when people are not so tired and enjoying the ride? Or at the finish line when everyone is relieved?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    p9uma wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

I agree, but why place the photographer at the end of the route just at the top of a hill when everyone is Jacobs'd? Why not have The photographer near the beginning when people are not so tired and enjoying the ride? Or at the finish line when everyone is relieved?

I was at the finish line helping out and I did not see many relieved or happy looking faces. Most just looked blank or a shell of themselves.

Well done to all who completed any of the routes as it was a hot day.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    A guy I was riding with lost the power of speech for about 1 hour afterwards. I almost collapsed. It was hard.
  • p9uma
    I was intrigued by the diverse range of bikes on the ride, from the top end carbon stuff, Pegorettis to name but two, mountain bikes tourers and junk. I even past someone on an old crate with a rusty cassette! I kept leapfrogging somone a newish Specialized that made an awful noise everytime he turned the crank. That would have been enought to drive me nuts, how he put up with that for five hours I'll never know.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin