cheap gps tracker for strava type sites.

buy_my_cookies
buy_my_cookies Posts: 114
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I have searched the forum and most seem to say the Holux GPSport 245 from DX but thats about £50, I've seen some post's saying that maplin was doing something for £20 which is now sold out. Are there any other units for the £20 mark that will do the job? I just want to be able to click start put it in my back pocket and click stop when i'm finished then get home and upload a gpx file.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Smartphone?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Smartphone?

Yeah, I find it uses less battery than other GPS apps - such as endomondo. You can pick up a basic android based smart phone quite cheaply now.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I think UE got his Holux from Deal Extreme for a chunk less than £50. Not as cheap as £20 though.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I think UE got his Holux from Deal Extreme for a chunk less than £50. Not as cheap as £20 though.
    Actually, the plan changed as DX were taking their time, bought it off eBay for about £50. I'd say that the best bit is that it's always on your bike. Like tonight, it was a headwindy, unremarkable commute until I decided to have a crack at a segment. I wouldn't have set my phone off before I left, and I wouldn't have stopped, but the Holux is always on. Plus it's a cycle computer too.
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    I've got a Holux 260Pro, with hindsight could do without the HRM and cadence and would have gone for the cheapest one. It tracks pretty solidly, picks up satellites fast and works as a good cycle computer too. All round very happy with it and I believe the 245 has got the same GPS chip, so above pros should be the same for it too.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3