Cross and Cranky

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Tricross Crank to be precise

My mate looks to have knackered the crankset on his 2010 model Tricross sport and we're stumped at finding an exact replacement.

It's a square taper triple 175mm (we think: the 58cm frame is a 175mm crank) 50/39/30 9 speed

Does the hive mind have an alternative - we've thought about octalink BB replacement and an alternate crankset.

We did find: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78798 which is sort of the same but the tooth count is different.

I was thinking may a compact 50/34 and do some frigging around with the front derailleur?

Anyone got any better ideas?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Tricross Crank to be precise

My mate looks to have knackered the crankset on his 2010 model Tricross sport and we're stumped at finding an exact replacement.

It's a square taper triple 175mm (we think: the 58cm frame is a 175mm crank) 50/39/30 9 speed

Does the hive mind have an alternative - we've thought about octalink BB replacement and an alternate crankset.

We did find: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78798 which is sort of the same but the tooth count is different.

I was thinking may a compact 50/34 and do some frigging around with the front derailleur?

Anyone got any better ideas?

I would go with the FSA crankset from CR and replace the chainrings if required.

You will have a few probs with a compact double:

1, BB length/chainline - you will need a new BB
    2, mech will over reach and need replacing
    3, STI will be for a triple and will need to be a double

You could frig it, but for the hassle and the chance of overshift, I would not bother.

Or go SS and pull the chainset apart and fit an SS kit in the rear mech!
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'd suggested swapping the chainwheels myself this morning (what's happened is that the threads on the chainwheel side got pulled out when he tried to remove it)

We were also considering using an external BB which may give more options.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Do the same principles as in MTB not apply?

1. External BBs make everything easier :wink: But if it's internal then yes, needs to be considered.
    2. wind the limit screw in
    3. The limit screw has been wound in, so the shifter can't get onto the third 'click'.

Or is road stuff different?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMCHAR765

Good old Tiagra, cheap and very cheerful.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    I'd suggested swapping the chainwheels myself this morning (what's happened is that the threads on the chainwheel side got pulled out when he tried to remove it)

Do you mean the thread used to seat the crank extractor? I did that once :(

There's also the Shimano 2303

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40623&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    rjsterry wrote:

There's also the Shimano 2303

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40623&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Yup, them :cry:

That was one of the options we looked at but the original is 50/39/30 and that is 52/42/30. We're not sure if the existing changer would accept that
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    FWIW my old commuter had a similiar FSA crankset to that one from CR and it was bombproof, as it's square taper that would seem the easiest option.
    I'm not sure about this, but don't you have to face your frame before fitting an external BB (if it previously had square taper), which might make the Tiagra a more expensive solution than it seems?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I have a Tricross - the FSA Vero is practically identical to the one fitted originally to my model. Tooth count was slightly different. I've changed it twice now and not had any trouble. I think mine's a 2008 though.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry wrote:

Yup, them :cry:
    A hammer will get the cranks off. Not really a problem if you're replacing them anyway.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Seriously, get the Tiagra one I posted. It's the same tooth count, really decent quality and so tough you could ride through minefields on you commute. FWIW, I've never seen a modern frame that needs facing. At all, they just aren't made that badly any more.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Seriously, get the Tiagra one I posted. It's the same tooth count, really decent quality and so tough you could ride through minefields on you commute. FWIW, I've never seen a modern frame that needs facing. At all, they just aren't made that badly any more.

It's a 10-speed though. The Tricross is a 9 speed. Won't this be a problem?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Seriously, get the Tiagra one I posted. It's the same tooth count, really decent quality and so tough you could ride through minefields on you commute. FWIW, I've never seen a modern frame that needs facing. At all, they just aren't made that badly any more.
    :( Balls, wish I'd known that before fitting square taper to a (modern) frame I'd bought recently. Just goes to prove the old adage, "Never assume, check"
  • Seriously, get the Tiagra one I posted. It's the same tooth count, really decent quality and so tough you could ride through minefields on you commute. FWIW, I've never seen a modern frame that needs facing. At all, they just aren't made that badly any more.

It's a 10-speed though. The Tricross is a 9 speed. Won't this be a problem?

Nah, there's nothing in it. Remember, bike component manufacturers are very good at making things seem like you need new stuff. There's no difference between a 9 and a 10 speed chainset in practical reality.
  • woodnut wrote:
    :( Balls, wish I'd known that before fitting square taper to a (modern) frame I'd bought recently. Just goes to prove the old adage, "Never assume, check"

Yeah, I was surprised to find that out myself. A local bike shop owner I know told me that in the past twenty years, he's not seen any that are *that* far out, the worst he's seen is a blob of paint which needs cleaning off. Yet, you read on the internet that they all need doing, otherwise it's the end of the world.
  • Kieran_Burns
    thanks all - some great advice as per usual. I've directed my mate to this thread so he can see for himself
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X