Best Big Bike Shop (West London)

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
So I'm seeing the Bike Whisperer on Thursday for a bike fitting on my grand visit to the Big Smoke. Trouble is I STILL can't find any shoes to fit me - bizarrely my SIDI Dragons in a 45 (I'm 44) are still the best (poor) fit having tried:

Lakes 44.5 (too short)
Sidi Mega (45 like boats, 44 too short)
Northwave (45 like boats, 44 loose side-to-side at heel end)
Shimano (45 OK but tight near toes)

I've been getting very friendly with the local PO as I return these shoes.

Anyhow - where's best towards the west of London (I'm staying near Ascot) that has a good range of shoes or who does some custom fit (in an oven - Shimano?) shoes?

Thanks
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Sigma Sports in Kingston is the obvious pick.

Condor in Holborn would be good, but they are right in the middle of London.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    +1, most definitely Sigma Sports
  • meanredspider
    Thanks - yes, Sigma looks good and they do both Bont & Shimano custom fits (if all else fails) - I've made contact

Thank you!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Greg66 wrote:

Ascot - Waterloo direct train in ~1hr. Then Northern and Piccadilly lines to Russell Square or Holborn, followed by a short walk.

It's an option, anyway. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Sigma are great, but what gives with a Cycle Fit, Volagi giving you a back ache?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ok some other options:
    Bont - can he heated up and moulded to your foot.
    Specialized - fit very well for my feet and are highly recommended by the bike whisperer
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Just btw, Sigma Sport staff in Hampton Wick can be quite snooty, but their other shop just over in Kingston (a Specialized concept store) has been (imo) much more friendly and very helpful. They also have quite a decent range of stock including lots of specialized shoes. I think that spesh shoes are reasonably wide vs the alternatives and certainly cheaper than a custom shoe so may be worth a try.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Greg66 wrote:

Ascot - Waterloo direct train in ~1hr. Then Northern and Piccadilly lines to Russell Square or Holborn, followed by a short walk.

It's an option, anyway.

surely you'd take the 243 or the 341
  • meanredspider
    Sigma are great, but what gives with a Cycle Fit, Volagi giving you a back ache?

Not at all - I just figured having bought the bike, I might as well make sure it is set up right. I don't really want to find out half way down Ireland that I have a problem. Given that the measurements can be transferred, I can also apply to the back-up Cayo too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Greg66 wrote:

It's an option, anyway.

Somehow I can't see Greg ever using a bus! ;)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Make sure that wherever you try stocks Giros as well as they sound like a good fit given your experiance with other brands.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    Asprilla wrote:
    Make sure that wherever you try stocks Giros as well as they sound like a good fit given your experiance with other brands.

I'd heard that Giro were very narrow so discounted them - I'll certainly try them if they're likely to be a fit as I've heard only good things about them
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Think I've said previously but I have wide feet and Diadora work for me (half sizes too which is always good). Surprising for Italian shes, but worth considering.
  • meanredspider
    BigMat wrote:
    Think I've said previously but I have wide feet and Diadora work for me (half sizes too which is always good). Surprising for Italian shes, but worth considering.

Cool - will look. I'm beginning to think that my feet are an odd shape as much as they are wide. The wide-fitting shoes that fit width-wise are too short. The narrow ones too narrow at the toes. It'll be great to go somewhere that can assess them properly and have a good selection.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bont bont bont bont bont.

Go to Cyclefit in Covent Garden and they'll bake 'em for your feet - although you can do this at home easily. Love mine, use them with a set of Sole's (http://www.yoursole.com/uk/) which are also oven moulded. Super comfy. FWIW I have quite wide feet.

Dunno if Sigma stock Bont, but they'd be my other choice - seconding many others I'm sure.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I would, but it's often easier to refer a tourist to the Tube. The map is easier to read, it's easier to tell when you need to alight etc...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Just btw, Sigma Sport staff in Hampton Wick can be quite snooty, but their other shop just over in Kingston (a Specialized concept store) has been (imo) much more friendly and very helpful. They also have quite a decent range of stock including lots of specialized shoes. I think that spesh shoes are reasonably wide vs the alternatives and certainly cheaper than a custom shoe so may be worth a try.
    I completely agree with the above. The Specialized shop is just round the corner from me. If you do go that way let me know and I'll buy you a pint or make you a cuppa if possible.
    Are you allowed to say Volagi in a Specialized store?
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I completely agree with the above. The Specialized shop is just round the corner from me. If you do go that way let me know and I'll buy you a pint or make you a cuppa if possible.
    Are you allowed to say Volagi in a Specialized store?

I will make a point of saying Volagi :wink: Cool - I'll let you know if/when I'm there