How to take that sweaty jersey off? ;)

medoramas
medoramas Posts: 202
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I've got few full-length and 3/4 zip jerseys, I treated myself recently for a lovely close-fit gore one with 1/3 zip. Have you got any tips how to take it off after a long, sweaty ride, before I rip it apart? :D

At the moment it's kind of a dance macabre when I try to do it... And it takes me about 5 minutes :D

Comments

• MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    Compression base layers are the worst. No zip and if I can't get it off over my head I nearly pass out :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    In future buy jerseys with full zips you numpty! :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yeah - compression layers, base layers and cotton tee shirts are the worst to get off......weld themselves to you!
  • I have trouble getting those all-in-one things off. Teddies I think they call them. They're hard enough to get off someone else, so I can't imagine trying to take one off on your own....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    pull up from the bottom, so by the end it's inside out above your head with your head still stuck in.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or find a handy Chippendales concert and crowd surf the middle aged ladies..?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    pull up from the bottom, so by the end it's inside out above your head with your head still stuck in.

correct, this is how i always take mine off tbh. jsut beware of hitting your head with pocket contents is all.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey

correct, this is how i always take mine off tbh. jsut beware of hitting your head with pocket contents is all.

Empty beforehand innit.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    And make sure you remember to undo the zip before starting. You really don't want to end up with your head stuck in a jersey that won't go over your neck because it's still zipped up.

On the plus side, that's not a mistake you'll ever repeat.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I never have a problem myself:

hulk.jpg

gets expensive mind...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    have you tried a good layer of butter / goose fat before you put the top on...... :roll:

or have a bath in acetate / petrol after the ride and it will simply dissolve off........

I hope this helps
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    It's at this point that I panic 'cos I can't get it over my shoulders and, exhausted from the ride, pass out :D
    Note to self: no more compression fit for me! :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's at this point that I panic 'cos I can't get it over my shoulders and, exhausted from the ride, pass out :D
    Note to self: no more compression fit for me! :D
    Reminds me of the bloke called himself Wally from Yorkshire who wrote to Wogan once asking about these new-fangled deoderant sticks. "Now then Mr Wogan I'm not sure I've got this right. The instructions clearly state 'remove cap and push up bottom'". In your best Allan Bennet voice, obviously.

Carry on.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

Bonus points for losing balance & blundering into furniture when unsighted or for whipping gewgaws off flat surfaces with the jersey when it comes over your noggin/off arms.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    esspeebee wrote:
    On the plus side, that's not a mistake you'll ever repeat.

I regularly repeat this mistake :oops:
  • I also use the pull up from bottom and over head so the jersey ends up inside out technique.

However, beware jerseys with zips that "lock" into position. I have had several where the zips locked in the "sticking out" position which when inverted as I whipped the jersey over my head ended up being forcibly shoved up my nose with surprisingly painful consequences.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Seems about right. To be a tad more detailed, I cross my arms in front of me and grab the bottom of the jersey, using both hands, near the hips ... then lift and squat - reverse cowgirl (oops wrong thread :oops: ) - reverse powerlifting stylie.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Seems about right. To be a tad more detailed, I cross my arms in front of me and grab the bottom of the jersey, using both hands, near the hips ... then lift ... .

this... but try doing it in a shower room approx 1.5m x 1m (and 1/2 of that is shower cubicle) without damaging yourself or all the stuff hanging on the wall hooks... and then it always catches on the HR monitor strap so an extra wiggle is needed before you suffocate...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Seems about right. To be a tad more detailed, I cross my arms in front of me and grab the bottom of the jersey, using both hands, near the hips ... then lift ... .

this... but try doing it in a shower room approx 1.5m x 1m (and 1/2 of that is shower cubicle) without damaging yourself or all the stuff hanging on the wall hooks... and then it always catches on the HR monitor strap so an extra wiggle is needed before you suffocate...

If it's that hot, do it outside before you walk in!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ask any of those featured in here. I'm sure they'd be happy to help :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......