Tour of Britain 2012 - East Anglia

I did the 2011 leg of the ToB East Anglia and there was transport arranged at the finish for bike & rider back to the start at Bury St Edmunds. Anyone know when we can expect to hear about this year's transport arrangements & associated costs?

A group of us are holding off from booking pending this information. Last year there was someone called Alistair R (or similar) who was connected with the ToB and was very helpful with answering any questions associated with the tour. Is he or someone else dealing with it this year?

Thanks

Comments

• gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    I e-mailed the organisers asking the same question and got a reply saying they are working on them and details will be out soon.
  • gog555 wrote:
    I e-mailed the organisers asking the same question and got a reply saying they are working on them and details will be out soon.

You did better than me then, cos I emailed them too and got no response.
    I wonder if theres a touch of the old 'chicken & egg' thing here. They won't release transfer details until they have some idea of numbers, whilst there are people out there like my group who are holding off booking until they know the transfer details :roll:
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    It took them about a fortnight to reply.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Has anybody successfully entered? I can't see a link on the main web page.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Carl_P wrote:

No you're right, there's an entry form on the Stoke one - but none on the anglian/scottish or welsh
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Carl_P wrote:

No you're right, there's an entry form on the Stoke one - but none on the anglian/scottish or welsh

I've emailed them again and got a read receipt but still no answer. 2 of my friends have now signed up for a Spartan Race instead. The East Anglia ToB ride is just 4 weeks tomorrow and still no change to the Main Web Page & no answers to emails........think I might have to scrath this one, which is very disappointing. :(
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    The website was updated today, tabs now there to register

You will see the event date has moved from July to September, a sunday to a saturday...no explanation as why it's been pushed back
    Transport has been made available, subject to enough interest
  • steveb1020
    steveb1020 Posts: 55
    Hi yea I brave just entered and all went through fine I think it's been changed because of low entries , hope to see you there cheers
  • steveb1020
    Sorry meant have just entered
  • steveb1020 wrote:
    Hi yea I brave just entered and all went through fine I think it's been changed because of low entries , hope to see you there cheers

Hardly surprising given the manner in which enquiries have been dealt with. The switch from a Sunday in July to a Saturday in September means this is now a no no for me. oh well :roll:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I was considering the challenge ride, Gt Yarmouth to Norwich, but with a £35 entry fee they can get lost. Probably works out at more than 50p a mile on unclosed roads..if you tried to charge motorists that there would be absolute outrage and I'm not paying that voluntarily to ride a bloody bike.
  • steveb1020
    The Sun May Shine
  • carl_p
    The revised date actually works better for me. £35 entry + £18 coach transfer (or about £14 by train) makes it an expensive ride though.

Looking at the route not the most cycle friendly roads either. The section from Gt Yarmouth to Fleggburgh looks horrendous.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• Ankles50
    I looked at train, only 38minutes & £14 from Norwich seemed ok, but Greater Anglia only allow 4 bikes on any one train, on a first come first served basis. Seem's too big a risk to take a flyer that i'd be only one of 4 bikes on the morning as having spoken to the help desk they just repeated the ruling and said it should be enforced

The fact they are giving free suppliments, gels etc away at feedstations this year is a big step forward, i plan to take on board a reasonable amount to recompense for the entry fee
  • carl_p
    I wasn't aware of the 4 bike rule on a train. That's interesting because I believe there are several from my club planning to use the train from Norwich, so I can pretty much guarantee there will me more than 4!

So how many bikes can they get on a coach and how do they stack them?
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• Ankles50
    Was a surpise to me also, here is the URL, which they read from almost verbatum if you do talk to anyone

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-i ... ey/cycling

"Local services in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire
    Free of charge.
    First come first served.
    Four cycle spaces per train"
  • carl_p
    Cheers for the link Ankles. On the Inter City Norwich to London St, which normally stops at Ipswich it's 6 bikes, and looks like it has to be prebooked. I would imagine you also have to prearrange with the guard that you are getting off at Ipswich to unlock them.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• steveb1020
    Hi As I only do 25 miles quite regularly on about a 19 mph average what sort of average would the regular cyclist be looking at over 124 miles , I'm guessing to take between seven and a quarter and seven and half on a 16 or 17 average