Giro Stage 19 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Nice day for a bike ride

AtuUBTOCAAAyuah.jpg:large
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Suits Pozzo.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Nice day, nasty parcours. Love it.

How small do people reckon the GC group will be at the top of the reiterjoch (sp?)? Hopefully yesterday's flat stage means they'll go as hard as they did two days ago. Tomorrow will be in the back of the top guys' minds, but people a little down like pozzo just have to make today count.

Fingers crossed for some great racing and massive time gaps.
  • iainf72
    Pozzo gives me the creeps.

There, I said it.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    just seen the profile on Inner Ring, its massive! today and tomorrow I think Basso will do well, he is good on steep stuff that carries on for a while isnt he? Maybe today he will lay the ground work and then put the hammer down on the stelvio. total guesswork though
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Suits Pozzo.

going to rain later thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

Short, innit...
  • You would think that if Basso and Scarponi are going to make time up tomorrow they will have to lay the ground work today? Looks like a day for Basso, hopefully the cramp Scarponi suffered on stage 17 won't rear its ugly head ( completely unbiased and nothing to do with my PTP GC pick ). The question is can the Liquigas train stay with Basso to the final climb ? If they do i will be a monster pace, could see Ryder in trouble , possibly J-Rods off day?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    You would think that if Basso and Scarponi are going to make time up tomorrow they will have to lay the ground work today? Looks like a day for Basso, hopefully the cramp Scarponi suffered on stage 17 won't rear its ugly head ( completely unbiased and nothing to do with my PTP GC pick ). The question is can the Liquigas train stay with Basso to the final climb ? If they do i will be a monster pace, could see Ryder in trouble , possibly J-Rods off day?

This is pretty much what I just came in to type. They would be pretty brave to leave it all until tomorrow and hope to crack Ryder then and take J Rod in the time trial.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

Pantani worshipper. On small Italian team. Climbs like spiderman.

*shudder*
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

*shudder*

Jeez.

I must scare the sh!t out of you.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

*shudder*

I thought you meant like the dwarf in Twin Peaks.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The question is can the Liquigas train stay with Basso to the final climb ? If they do i will be a monster pace, could see Ryder in trouble , possibly J-Rods off day?

I think a monster pace is what plays into the hands of Hejsdal (and even more so riders like Wiggins) it's more relying on people screwing up nutrition etc. (like Kreuziger probably did) than it is hurting them. As these riders like a steady hard pace, they're amoung the strongest aerobic riders there. The monster pace deadens the legs of the attacking riders too, so then the attacks are much weaker when they come and they can't distance and isolate the aerobic guys.

The big attacks after monster pace worked when everyone was an aerobic beast from EPO, doesn't work so much now.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I really really really want JRod to win the Giro. Am hoping for Ryder to lose today (but am happy for him to podo come Sunday).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jibberjim wrote:
    The question is can the Liquigas train stay with Basso to the final climb ? If they do i will be a monster pace, could see Ryder in trouble , possibly J-Rods off day?

The big attacks after monster pace worked when everyone was an aerobic beast from EPO, doesn't work so much now.

We are talking about the Giro aren't we :wink:
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I really really really want JRod to win the Giro. Am hoping for Ryder to lose today (but am happy for him to podo come Sunday).

Well, I really, really, really, really want Hesjedal to win the Giro! Don't care where Rodriguez finishes... :D
  • iainf72
    Adam Hansen has fixed the stage

AtuaAVDCMAAi7L9.jpg:large
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

*shudder*

+1. I equate him to Ricco, Sella and any spindly Eyetalian climber ridding for Savio. Would not want to see the contents of their fridge.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    It's going to be a very late night for me.

Out this evening, probably out at night. get home, watch 3hrs of cycling.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

*shudder*

+1. I equate him to Ricco, Sella and any spindly Eyetalian climber ridding for Savio. Would not want to see the contents of their fridge.

That applies to most of them doesn't it? :wink:

I guess Pozzo does look a bit dodgy. I like J-Rod, but a Spaniard at Katusha?! Basso - has history but talks a good talk these days. Scarpo? Has history. Ryder? Uran? Who knows...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    BigMat wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

There, I said it.

How & why?

*shudder*

That applies to most of them doesn't it? :wink:

I guess Pozzo does look a bit dodgy. I like J-Rod, but a Spaniard at Katusha?! Basso - has history but talks a good talk these days. Scarpo? Has history. Ryder? Uran? Who knows...

Its more to do with the extremes and the potential for amateur fork up. It's the whole Pantani death wish thing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Malori, Sella, Zeits, Santaromita, Pirazzi, Cazaux, Guardini, Casar Ignatiev, Hansen, Ventoso, Garate, Rohregger, Flecha, Benedetti and Haedo in the break
  • frenchfighter
    36/52 - 27/28 out today apparently

Gilberto Simoni on the Manghen: "It's one of my favourites. There's nothing at the top. When you get there, you feel like a polar explorer."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    BigMat wrote:

I guess Pozzo does look a bit dodgy. I like J-Rod, but a Spaniard at Katusha ( following 5 years in ONCE and Saunier)?!
    FYP
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Malori, Sella, Zeits, Santaromita, Pirazzi, Cazaux, Guardini, Casar Ignatiev, Hansen, Ventoso, Garate, Rohregger, Flecha, Benedetti and Haedo in the break

Saxo must be really pissed with JJ to make him go out on a stage like this...

I guess Guardini is really worried about the cut off he decides to surf the first climb from the break!

Yes, I realise it's not JJ Haedo, he went home ages ago
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • frenchfighter
    “I wish I had more time over Hesjedal, it would give me more possibilities to defend the pink jersey”, the Catalan commented. “I’m hoping for Hesjedal to have a bad day in the mountains. He’s 70kg, Basso is 67. Hesjedal is very lean. I don’t foresee him getting dropped uphill. He won’t lose two minutes. Either he’ll stay with us or he’ll lose a lot.”

“For sure, l’Alpe de Pampeago suits me”, Rodriguez admitted. “It matches my climbing skills. I’m a little more of a climber than my rivals. My biggest concern is Hesjedal but my luck is that Basso and Scarponi need to gain time on him even more than me. I believe that Liquigas is going to lead the race again.”

Asked to put in order of importance the rivals he fears the most, “Purito” gave a subtle answer: “1. Hesjedal, 2. Liquigas, 3. Scarponi.” It means that he’s been impressed by the collective actions of Basso’s team more than by Basso himself.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/ ... age19.html

And from Trentino 09:
    Stage 2 Results
    1 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Miche-Silver) 137 km in 3h50'44"
    2 Ivan Basso (Liquigas) + 0'22"
    3 Giampaolo Caruso (Flaminia) + 0'45"
    4 Gilberto Simoni (Diquigiovanni-Androni) + 0'45"
    5 Jani Brajkovic (Astana) + 1'01"

Last three climbs today:
    Pamp: 8km at 10% av
    Lavaze: 6km at 8.5% av
    Pamp: 10km at 10% av
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Crowds will probably be mental on the pampeago.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    the ryder is getting talked up a fair bit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    the ryder is getting talked up a fair bit

We'll see.

I remember he did a good ride up the Tourmalet in 2010.